B7100 Cooling Question

/ B7100 Cooling Question #11  
I agree with Bill. Also You say that it smells hot but does not loose rad fluid. Is the engine clean or does it have alot of dirt and oil stuck to it. I used a product call oil eater that I get form costco. Spray it on when engine is cold and let it sit then wash it off with a hose. Engine comes out looking like new. When the engine is clean you can also see where any leaks are coming from easier. I had one leak and it was where the diesel fuel line connected to the engine. I tighted it and now all I have to ever have to do is an occasional hose it off with water and it is clean. Do it when its cold of course.

/ B7100 Cooling Question #12  
No thermostat in this thermo-syphon system. I put a new rad cap on mine and this helped, along with what the the others have mentioned already.

/ B7100 Cooling Question #13  
be carefull.........im looking to buy a b7100 that overheated and cracked the block in the middle cylinder, the cause was the lower radiator hose, it looked fine from the outside but on the inside the innerwall collapsed. change your hoses and see if that helps.

/ B7100 Cooling Question
Lot's of good ideas. Will be going up the lot this weekend with a bag o' tools and a flashlight to check out all of the suggested trouble spots. Kind of like a murder mystery, lot's of suspects, all having time and opprotunity. Will advise outcome.

Thanks again, Erik

/ B7100 Cooling Question #15  
Good suggestions but I'll expand abit.
On a thermosyphon system, the 1st suspect is always a clogged radiator. Either internal or external.
External is easy to fix but you have to have access and a good air compressor or powerful vaccum to clean it good. This should be part of your annual service procedure. Internally is not so easy.
One way to tell if a portion of the radiator is internally clogged is to feel around it once it's warmed up. An obvious cooler spot is a good indicator of that section not passing hot coolant. It never hurts to run a good radiator flush through it and if that doesn't help and theres an obvious internal obstruction then it'll have to go to a radiator shop for repair.

Also, these types of cooling systems like a higher water to anti-freeze content. 100% water would cool efficiently but would offer no anti freeze or anti rust protection so a 50/50 mix is the most anti freeze you'd want to run.
Good luck