BX24 Engine Has "BX23" Label!

/ BX24 Engine Has "BX23" Label! #1  

x703jko

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24TLB
When I was checking the oil on my BX24 today I noticed that the label on the engine says "BX23". :eek:

What gives?

Jeff

/ BX24 Engine Has "BX23" Label! #2  
x703jko said:
When I was checking the oil on my BX24 today I noticed that the label on the engine says "BX23". :eek:

What gives?

Jeff
There's a thread here of recent (maybe 4 - 6 weeks ago) about this issue. Best I recall, it was a legit install, from the course of the thread.

/ BX24 Engine Has "BX23" Label!
crbr said:
There's a thread here of recent (maybe 4 - 6 weeks ago) about this issue. Best I recall, it was a legit install, from the course of the thread.

I'll check out the thread.

/ BX24 Engine Has "BX23" Label! #4  
x703jko said:
When I was checking the oil on my BX24 today I noticed that the label on the engine says "BX23". :eek: What gives?

Not to worry... the engine on the BX24 shows "BX23", while the engine on the BX23 shows "BX22".

/ BX24 Engine Has "BX23" Label! #5  
I doubt it's anything to be concerned about since all of the tractors in the size group are BX23 of one kind or another except those sold with integral loader and backhoe.

So maybe the BX24 designation is like a "Limited" version of a car. Same car but with leather, seat heaters, and on and on kind of included features.

lp333 said:
Not to worry... the engine on the BX24 shows "BX23", while the engine on the BX23 shows "BX22".

Thanks...good to know.

NoviceguyInCT said:
My 1st year BX24 engine has the BX23 label too.

Thanks.

/ BX24 Engine Has "BX23" Label! #9  
Seems Kubota offered two variants of the 22/23 hp 3 cylinder diesel found in the BX 22/2200, BX23/2230 and BX24/2350 lines. The D902 and D905 engines. They are both basically the same internally with a few differences externally.
My 2004 BX23 has the D905 engine which is rated at a conservative 22hp.
Sometime during the last yr of the BX23/2230 series (2005), Kubota went to the D902 engine and this is the same engine, with one additional hp thats in the BX24/2350's.
From what I can tell, the major differences between the D905 and D902 is in the valve cover and different fuel injector pumps on each. This is probably where the additional hp is generated.
Long story short, I wouldn't sweat the engine being labled as a BX23, the BX23 had a good run with the main reported problem being that the air filter bracket would crack and they went to an entirely different air filter solution on the BX24/2250 series.
Theres quite a few BX22/2200's pileing on the hrs with the same basic engine, which in itself is a pretty good testimonial of how durable these engines are.

/ BX24 Engine Has "BX23" Label! #10  
Volfandt said:
... From what I can tell, the major differences between the D905 and D902 is in the valve cover and different fuel injector pumps on each. This is probably where the additional hp is generated ...

I have tried on a several occasions to find out more about the differences between the D905 and the D902 engines. The differences are slight, and Kubota is almost silent on the details. From what I gather, the greatest differences are overall weight and exterior size - the B902 is about 25% lighter and a bit more compact than the D905. This would fall in line with Kubota's ongoing efforts to cut the production costs for the popular BX units.

The most puzzling thing to understand is why Kubota would claim that the D902 (found in the BX24) is more powerful than the D905 (found in the BX23 and BX22), given that, according to Kubota, both engines have identical displacement specifications.

So let’s take a closer look at how the estimated HP was measured. Estimated HP is published at 2 different RPM levels for each engine. The HP for the D905 is available at 3600 RPM and 3000 RPM, while the HP for the D902 is available at 3600 RPM and 3200 RPM. Published HP at 3,600 RPM shows that both engines have identical power in all 3 HP classes ("Gross Intermittent HP", "Net Intermittent HP" and "Net Continuous HP"). However, differences occur when the HP of each engine is measured at the lower RPM level; at 3200 RPM the D902 "appears" to be slightly more powerful than the HP of the D905 which was measured at 3000 RPM. However, this "apparent" difference would seem to be an artifact of the differences in the RPM ranges employed rather than an "actual" HP difference.

It seems to me that Kubota's claim that the BX24 is more powerful than the BX23 or BX22 may be the result of an unfair comparison between the D902 and D905 engines. It is not entirely clear to me why Kubota would choose to advance this misleading claim. Might this be a simple oversight, or could this be a strategic marketing ploy to sell more BX24s?

I invite TBN members who who are more knowledgeable than me to shed light on this puzzling HP claim.