losing lots of water too quickly- help!

/ losing lots of water too quickly- help! #1  

panthercoach

I have a late 70's model L275 Kubota. Lately, I'm losing 2-3 quarts of the water in the radiator after only 1-2 hours of operation. All the loss is through the overflow tube. I have replaced the radiator cap with a new one from Kubota, but the problem persists. I don't know a whole lot about this, but I know it isn't supposed to lose that much water that quickly. I worry about doing damage by running the tractor too long with one-third of the water pumped out. My dealer doesn't seem to know what the problem could be unless I bring in the tractor. I will if I have to, but it is a major ordeal for me to do that. I would like to try to find out if there is anything I can do. My tractor does not have a temperature gauge, so I don't really know if it is running too hot. Any thoughts?

/ losing lots of water too quickly- help! #2  
Great dealer that you have there. I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't know already.

You changed the radiator cap? Well that would help if the fluid was coming out of the top of the radiator but your getting blow by in the overflow.

I don't know your model but I'd guess it has a thermostat and a water pump. Try the t-stat first because it may be stuck shut. Think of your car. It does the same thing. It's cheap to try.

Your in Bama. If I were you take the t-stat out when you find it. Fill it and run it to see if it runs good afterwards. If it does thats the issue. Just put a new one in.

Now if you do that and it still boils over I'd guess the pump is shot and it's not moving water through the system. At that point if your not too savy on a tractor you might want to haul it in for repair.

Stop running the tractor until you figure this out. If you warp the engine head or blow a gasket you'll ruin the tractor to the thousands of dollars and not the hundreds.

Let us know.

/ losing lots of water too quickly- help! #3  
Doesn't that machine have thermo-syphon cooling?