Oil & Fuel Oil Leak in L2800?

/ Oil Leak in L2800? #1  

DanielTerence

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L2800
When I changed the oil in my L2800 a month ago, I put the recommended amount of oil in, but after it set awhile (and everything drained to the bottom) the oil level on the dipstick was about 1/4 inch above the full mark. I did not think that would hurt anything and have used the tractor several times since then. However, last night, I noticed a small pool of oil on the ground below the tractor, about in the middle of the tractor, below the steering wheel area. Could I have damaged something keeping too much oil in the engine? It was too dark for me to look more closely for the exact location of the leak, I'll check tonight.

Any help is appreciated.

/ Oil Leak in L2800? #2  
I did the same to mine at the 50 hour service, about a 1/4 inch above. ran it like that until the next oil change with no problems. Check and see if its coming from the clutch drain hole. If it is you may have a leaking seal. And of course check drain plugs and filter.

/ Oil Leak in L2800? #3  
Usually the only problem with overfilling is that the oil may foam causing problems lubricating the engine but you have to be plenty over for that to happen and most new engine designes negate that anyways. 1/4 " over the mark is nothing to be worried about. Something else is up.

/ Oil Leak in L2800?
I looked more closely last night, I think it might be trans. fluid. It was in the area directly below the small, round glass thing where you can view the trans. fluid level. I started up the tractor and couldn't make it leak anymore. I'll run it more this weekend.

/ Oil Leak in L2800? #5  
DanielTerence said:
I looked more closely last night, I think it might be trans. fluid. It was in the area directly below the small, round glass thing where you can view the trans. fluid level. I started up the tractor and couldn't make it leak anymore. I'll run it more this weekend.
I would check the sight glass closely for cracks. Mine cracked for no obvious reason and it seems like I saw another post recently with the same problem...

/ Oil Leak in L2800? #6  
You have two choices.
1. Take your tractor to dealer and have them change the $4.00 sight guage other know as a oil guage..... It will probably cost more in fuel.
2. Change it yourself. Be careful it is made of plastic and it screws in.

I just changed mine @200hrs and ordered two more since they seem to break pretty easy. I removed the cover and jacked up the ft. end as high as a floor jack would go so the tranny fluid would collect in the back and I wouldn't loose much since a galllon of tranny fluid cost more than the guage.

/ Oil Leak in L2800?
I wiped off all the oil and let the tractor sit for a day or so. It is definitely leaking from the site glass. I don't see a crack, tried tighthening it a bit and it is still leaking. So I guess I'll put in a new one. I don't understand what would cause these to crack?

/ Oil Leak in L2800? #8  
DanielTerence said:
I wiped off all the oil and let the tractor sit for a day or so. It is definitely leaking from the site glass. I don't see a crack, tried tighthening it a bit and it is still leaking. So I guess I'll put in a new one. I don't understand what would cause these to crack?

It is plastic with a flat rubber seal, the threads are probably cracked just like mine did and the threads are what hold tension on the seal.
I suspect the plastic does not like the heat and oil for too long before it goes south.
Remember it is an "Economy" tractor and if it had a dipstick they probably would have to upgrade it to a Grand "E":)

/ Oil Leak in L2800?
I just ordered two of them ($4.00 each)
Thanks.

/ Oil Leak in L2800? #10  
DanielTerence
Do you have the part number? Looks lile we all may have to order 1 or 2 at some point