Oil & Fuel fuel filters on BX2350 question

/ fuel filters on BX2350 question #1  

studway

Bronze Member
Just had my local dealer put together a kit for the 50 hour service so I could do it myself. Even though the owner's manual does not list the fuel filters as something that needs to be checked or replaced at 50 hours, the parts guy insisted I buy 2 fuel filters and that I must change them out. The manual says to check them at 100 hours and change if clogged. If not clogged, change every 500 hours.

I know clean fuel is absolutely essential to getting long life out of a diesel engine, but is this really necessary?? The manual does not tell you how to change them either, it just says "ask your dealer".

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

/ fuel filters on BX2350 question #2  
I simply change my fuel filters every 300 hours when I do the service work on my BX. With 1150 hours on the tractor, I have not had a fuel problem.

Will

/ fuel filters on BX2350 question #3  
I changed the fuel filters in my BX 1800 at 500 hours. That's what the maintenance schedule calls for. They were clean and just like new. It wasn't the easiest job to do. Yes they are pretty cheap and if you are using fuel that is from a questionable source (old rusty tank behind the barn) it may be good to change more often but not at 50 hours if you use decent fuel.

/ fuel filters on BX2350 question #4  
I've canged the bottom filter on mine at least six times, got some bad fuel, I am still using the original filter up by the engine. The filter before the electric pump seems to catch everything and if you get just a small amount of water it will clog, before the tracor even starts losing power, it will start sounding just slightly different, then I know it's time to change the filter. I bought two large hemostats and just clamp the line before and after the filter and I can change a filter without much of a mess. Get my filters at Wal-Mart, Fram G12, they're see thru, cheap and work good for me.

/ fuel filters on BX2350 question #5  
milkman said:
I've canged the bottom filter on mine at least six times, got some bad fuel, I am still using the original filter up by the engine. The filter before the electric pump seems to catch everything and if you get just a small amount of water it will clog, before the tracor even starts losing power, it will start sounding just slightly different, then I know it's time to change the filter. I bought two large hemostats and just clamp the line before and after the filter and I can change a filter without much of a mess. Get my filters at Wal-Mart, Fram G12, they're see thru, cheap and work good for me.

Interesting enough, middle of winter, I too had to change my underneath filter... Didn't realize it had 2 until then... But, I took the one in the engine compartment, moved it to the bottom of the tractor, and put the new one under the hood..

That way I'm only changing one at a time....

Furthermore, my unit only had 24 hrs or so when it happened and I filled it up with a new 5 gal fuel jug and this place rotates fuel all the time..

I was shocked that I had trouble.. Not to mention I was a half mile from home and had to climb a very steeep hill. I'll bet I restarted it at least 25 times to get it back to the garage..

From now on, I'm keeping one with the tractor... and going to mount a small little toolkit to keep the basic necessities with me...

Phil

/ fuel filters on BX2350 question
Alright, thanks for the answers. I think I'm going to skip it for now and wait until 100 hours to check them, as the manual suggests. I use plastic 5 gallon containers that get a lot of use because we have other, bigger tractors. I'm considering registering the thing so I can drive it 1/2 mile down to the nearest diesel pump.