One thing I really don't like about the BX (maybe all Kubotas)

/ One thing I really don't like about the BX (maybe all Kubotas) #11  
Simple solution, set the park brake, put the hydro in low range and inch the tractor into position with the hydro pedal, works every time.

/ One thing I really don't like about the BX (maybe all Kubotas) #12  
milkman said:
Simple solution, set the park brake, put the hydro in low range and inch the tractor into position with the hydro pedal, works every time.
yup...

/ One thing I really don't like about the BX (maybe all Kubotas) #13  
acohen100 said:
Well on a few occasions I have had to back up into the BH for remounting on a slight grade - or at the edge of my shed with the front wheels hanging over the front lip andpulling the tractor forward. The tractor tends to want to roll forward while you are trying to feather the reverse and lock it in the correct position.
OK. Assuming you have the FEL on (which you would if mounting BH), you can also drop it once you have the tractor in position. You can also "level up" the front of the tractor with it, which may help you align w/the implement.

/ One thing I really don't like about the BX (maybe all Kubotas) #14  
Botabill said:
I think it make sense to have the brake on the right side as it forces the driver to take their foot off the power (gas/diesel) pedal if they need to press the brake. We are trained to do that when we learn to drive a car as a safety feature and in most cases for those of us who drive it is an automatic reaction when we need to brake in a hurry. It might be an advantage in some situations to have it on the left side but I can't think of a situation where I'd use it often. As one poster aready mentioned... with the Hydrostatic drive the power pedal is a brake itself and the 'brake' is usually only used for parking.

Not quite true, as I found out yesterday, bushhogging horse trails. I turned the tractor into a sharp right downhill that was rutted. All the load went to a diagonal pair of wheels and down the hill I began to sail, as the only wheels the HST was holding back were the ones with very little weight on them. Now, once I completed the turn, as it turned out, they would have caught, but believe me, I didn't wait to see. I suppose I could have reached for either the brakes or the differential lock with equal success, but considering I have only hundreds of hours in tractors and at least a hundred thousand hours in cars, maybe two, I can tell you what my instinctive reaction was - RIGHT FOOT TO BRAKE. Tractor came to a quick halt, and I gently eased off the brakes until all four wheels were again loaded and the HST could hold me back.

I know JD has the brakes on the left, but I have to think that while it may in fact be more "natural" and usually more convenient, it's a drawback when you need brakes RIGHT NOW and you fall back on automated reactions learned in years of driving cars. And losing traction on one tire (or one front and back in 4wd) can have you accelerating downhill HST or no HST. If you live in Illinois or Kansas, you might never need your brakes for anything but parking, but here in eastern Kentucky, some very steep hills can at times call for that brake pedal. And I ought to mention, keep the pedals locked together unless you have a real reason to be using them individually that particular day.

/ One thing I really don't like about the BX (maybe all Kubotas) #15  
Botabill said:
I think it make sense to have the brake on the right side as it forces the driver to take their foot off the power (gas/diesel) pedal if they need to press the brake. We are trained to do that when we learn to drive a car as a safety feature and in most cases for those of us who drive it is an automatic reaction when we need to brake in a hurry.
Exactly. Another reason it's on the right is the clutch is on the left (for the Kubotas that have them). Kubota isn't going to change the whole setup and what operators are used to, just because the clutch isn't there.
Again, this topic has been beat to death in countless other threads. For the JD poster bragging about brake on the left, what then when he gets on a tractor that has a clutch? Wait I got it... JD owners must all have two left feet.:D

/ One thing I really don't like about the BX (maybe all Kubotas) #16  
I would just like the brake pedal to be shorter, closer in height to the throttle pedal. Having to pin my knee against my chest in order to depress it seems kinda weird....

/ One thing I really don't like about the BX (maybe all Kubotas)
Ah well I found my answer. I like the FEL use idea. I can see locking the break and creeping in idea working too. That would be nice and easy. Thanks for the tips. I feel pretty retarded for not having thought of that.

/ One thing I really don't like about the BX (maybe all Kubotas) #18  
acohen100 said:
Ah well I found my answer. I like the FEL use idea. I can see locking the break and creeping in idea working too. That would be nice and easy. Thanks for the tips. I feel pretty retarded for not having thought of that.

I don't think you should feel bad for not having thought to apply a brake in order to move a vehicle. :)