Tires spinning tires BAD thing to do

/ spinning tires BAD thing to do #1  

huckie

Bronze Member
Tractor
kubota L3240 dt
I took out to 15 inch stumps yesterday one a maple and one a spruce. used my box scraper and bucket. tooks a good 4 hrs but I was on my tractor so i didn't care. Well that was until i washed some of the mud off of it and found a 3in long 1/4 in deep cut on my front right ag tire. I feel it must have happened when i was pushing and the tires were spinning. How long do you guys think I have before this goes out and i need a new tire? How much would a new one run?

/ spinning tires BAD thing to do #2  
Huckie ... is this cut on a tread rib? or is it in the valley of a rib? or is it sidewall?

If its in the rib itself, I wouldn't fret over it .. any where else and I would definetly keep my eye on it.

Nu'uns are always more expensive than ya think.

As for spinning tires, depends what you are spinning them on (mud? concrete? etc.).

:cool:

/ spinning tires BAD thing to do #3  
Just as in cars, I've always figured if you are spinning tires, you are putting a LOT of stress on stuff. If the tires DON'T spin, all that load is on the drive train. If they are spinning, you won't make much progress.

As a youth, people were putting WIDE tires on muscle cars, then spinning them on acceleration. Seems to me you would want thinner tires in that situation so the tires would spin and your drive line would be saved.

Just my two cents.

ron

/ spinning tires BAD thing to do #4  
RonR said:
As a youth, people were putting WIDE tires on muscle cars, then spinning them on acceleration. Seems to me you would want thinner tires in that situation so the tires would spin and your drive line would be saved.

Just my two cents.

ron

Very true. The smart kids of today have figured it out. If you go to a burnout contest you often see thin cheap tires for best show and less drivetrain blow(out).

/ spinning tires BAD thing to do #5  
No matter where the cut is, if it doesnt reach the tire cord you are going to be ok for a while - probably years. Its always a worry to see cuts in the carcass rubber but they only matter in the short term if you are extremely unlucky and a new object follows the same cut.
larry

/ spinning tires BAD thing to do #6  
If the cut is on one of the 'lugs' you should be fine because these are designed to wear right down. If it is in between two 'lugs' it is a lot worse but should be ok for now. If something gets stuck in there and rubs as you drive you might end up with a hole in your tire. :eek:

You might be able to put a tube in it, i dont know. :cool:

Hope it is not too bad

/ spinning tires BAD thing to do #7  
If the tube is not showing a repair is possible. JB weld or plastic bumper repair mix will work on tires too. Clean let dry and fill in the cut. This will keep the water out of the cut and if cord is exposed will keep it from obsorbing water and rotting. This will work only on slow moving applications and may require a repeat application. Hope this helps jimdalton 50 yr around tires. Note if tube is exposed dont apply Jb weld with air pressure in the tire.

/ spinning tires BAD thing to do #8  
JIMDALTON said:
If the tube is not showing a repair is possible. JB weld or plastic bumper repair mix will work on tires too. Clean let dry and fill in the cut. This will keep the water out of the cut and if cord is exposed will keep it from obsorbing water and rotting. This will work only on slow moving applications and may require a repeat application. Hope this helps jimdalton 50 yr around tires. Note if tube is exposed dont apply Jb weld with air pressure in the tire.
I would fill in the cut only if cord were showing. The problem with filling a slit where no material was removed in the injury is that the added material is taking up space and actually pushing the tire apart a little as it flexes in the area of repair. It would be great if you could actually glue the slit shut - not just fill it, but it always breaks back open in either case.
larry

/ spinning tires BAD thing to do #9  
You need a backhoe. Digging stumps with a FEL is like doing dental work with a cold chisel...

RDnT

/ spinning tires BAD thing to do
First off it is in the valley between the ribs and I see no threads so that is a good thing. A backhoe would be nice but today proved i will not need one. I cleared a rocky stump filled area for a buddy today. It was about 30x175 and got all but the biggest stumps out. Not to say we didn't have a little issue. Some how I broke the pin that holds the large pin into the telescoping link. Well that is going to cost me. Didn't see it until it slipped part of the way out a broke some stuff. Will be more aware next time. The area looked great when we were finished. He will seed it soon. the soil was just great.