Looking tough on a BX tractor carrying potted plants in the FEL

/ Looking tough on a BX tractor carrying potted plants in the FEL #41  
Scrounger said:
I brought the mail back from the box this morning in the bucket. Two Cabela's catalogs and a huge JC Penney's made it too much. I was glad the BH was on since I didn't want to be unsafe. I didn't need 4x4 since it was summer, but I did run in low gear so the trip would last longer. The speed of high gear would have cooled the latte too much.

Truly, the perfect picture of an "Estate Tractor".

:D

/ Looking tough on a BX tractor carrying potted plants in the FEL #42  
Scrounger said:
...cooled the latte too much.

Starbucks has a nice stainless thermal insulated mug that would work well in this unfortunate situation. I face it every week when retrieving the Sunday paper. And sometimes the Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware catalogs come in the same day as the CPA's quarterly summary. Whew! Thank goodness for DIESEL POWER!

/ Looking tough on a BX tractor carrying potted plants in the FEL #43  
:D KeithinSpace...hahhaaaa...nice and funny too! I'll have to stop going to the Starbuck's drive-in and go inside to get my aero-space thermo-dynamic marked up 400% titanium coffee mug to fit my BX cup holder :D

I love this thread, much entertainment...so I'll add to it, but, there will be a point at the end, promise!

I'm just north of Wash DC, (Keith you probably know the area) work at a Fortune 10 company, financial analyst among many other sidelines. I guess to some people I'm a yuppie, but, to me, I'm not. I own numerous firearms, several ATVs and can rebuild 2 and 4 stroke motors and even built my own grapple. ;)
My BMW is actually a Suburban 2500 8.1 liter. (Man, the hybrid owners give me dirty looks.)
I got the BX2350 to replace my tired rusty old Ford 1210 that I used at my "old" house which was only 2 acres. My biggest reason was to leave all that manual shifting behind and "glide" with the HST, and the HST certainly is a thing-o-beauty! (after shifting gears for 20 years).

One of my rich neighbors is an attorney with the Lexus & Range Rover and lawn and pool service, now, yes, they are yuppies!! One man's yuppie, is another man's something-or-other?? right?? They probably look at me like I am a "hired hand" , out on my tractor, cutting trees, mowing, dumping dirt, spitting and scratching my crotch [grunt grunt].
But I know, deep down, secretly, my neighbor yearns to be a Manly-Man, but is bound by the shackles of appearance, how could he ever explain dirt or grease under his manicured nails? [gasp]
But i digress.

Anyway, onward, to the points of the post, the glossy ads.
On my way out the door, after making my BX purchase and loading the machine, I grabbed the glossy ad to stuff in with my owner's manuals as a momento, and, in the back of my mind, should I ever trade-up, or sell, it's impressive (to the prospective buyer) that you have the original glossy brochure! First point, is, I made the purchase and pick-up without ever laying eyes on the ad. Who needs ads? not us, we look at specs and function, just like it's a fast car or a chainsaw. But ,sadly, some folks don't.
(psssst......those folks are who the ads are for....shhhhhhh...don't tell them).

Second point about these ads, they are no different than Soda ads, Beer ads, or anything else. A lot of you guys came very close in your analysis, but, the real Wall Street-styled glossy ad's purpose is to convince people they will be better off, or prettier, or richer, or more handsome if they use XYZ product.
"If you experience an erection lasting longer than 4 hours, seek medical help!"
Most people think that is a real disclaimer, it's really a slick packaged subliminal message, use this product and you will be THE MAN!

If you buy a Kubota BX product, you will become handsome, your wife gorgeous. Your lawn will be emerald green and larger than 3 football fields,
it will be precision-laser-flat, like astro-turf, not a rut or gulley will be seen.
Your shrubbery and trees will be the finest specimens in the region. All will be perfect.
And your house! .... will be featured on CRIBS! Yes, you will be hanging with movie stars and living in the high-rent district, if you buy this tractor!
That's what the ads are saying, subliminally.

Take my neighbor, they would have to convince him it's better to do it himself, than to hire a lawn service, that would be truly trying to market to yuppies. i think they are marketing more to wannabees, or aspire to bees. It doesn't further my neighbors position in life to buy this tractor, he already has the life they are depicting.

There are potted plants in the FEL because it wouldn't help sell those tractors if it was pictured full of recently cleaned up dog turds or the trash that I cleaned up from the side of the road. (But i think i have a good idea who tossed the 6 pack of Guinness empties by my mailbox!) :D
Mopauly, while on the beer topic, Hop Devil is good, also, try Hops Infusion. Then try my favorite, DogFishHead IPA 90. If you like Hop Devil, you'll love these two. Again, I digress, but, it was beer, so it's justifiable this time.

The plants in the FEL don't look like you will be working yer fool-arse off, they look like you will be tractoring across the estate, to set them gently into their pre-dug holes. So, the tractor will help you do work, but never insinuate it will work you like a slave on a southern plantation.

So, my long winded, rambling point, is that the ads are like all others:
Drink this Soda and be a super model,
Drink this beer and get all the hot babes,
Buy this tractor and you'll have a nice house, beautiful lawn and attractive wife!
(I have about 60 hours on my machine, and every morning I wake up, look at my wife, and she looks the same as when we had the rusty old Ford 1210, ...drat!)

I'm not defending the Wall Street advertizing, no, I have a lot of problems with it, just pointing out what their normal schtick is comprised of. My biggest beef is that old school Wall Street ad men still think of the population like back in the 1950's. They haven't recognized that more people are much more savvy than back in the day.

So, thanks for this thread, it's been a hoot!!

disclaimer: this reply was intended merely as entertainment, if you were offended by any of it's content, oh well. ;)

Carry on.

/ Looking tough on a BX tractor carrying potted plants in the FEL #44  
Scrounger said:
I brought the mail back from the box this morning in the bucket. Two Cabela's catalogs and a huge JC Penney's made it too much. I was glad the BH was on since I didn't want to be unsafe. I didn't need 4x4 since it was summer, but I did run in low gear so the trip would last longer. The speed of high gear would have cooled the latte too much.

Probably the most outrageously funny post in an outrageously funny thread. I'm betting your ROPS was locked in the upright position and your synthetic oil was at nominal operating temp too. Did you float and curl all three catalogs?? ;)

Dude, I'm there. Only bought a BX 'cause I'm too timid to buy a 'vette :D

(Although a REAL sunset rancher woulda been sipping a white chocolate mocha frappacino, no whip) ...

RDnT

/ Looking tough on a BX tractor carrying potted plants in the FEL #45  
You mean retreveing the morning paper and mail via the BX is one of the definitions of being a yuppie?

Well dang, guess I'm gonna have to learn all those Starbuck coffee terms and consult my portfolio so I can order a cup-O-joe now :D

Man, this BX was supposed to make things easier.........

/ Looking tough on a BX tractor carrying potted plants in the FEL #46  
Since my mailbox is 750 ft from my front door, I too, am guilty of this some Saturdays. As well as, driving the string trimmer out to the mailbox in order to trim around the post. None of that foofy mocha crappachino here though, maybe a beer. I guess I don't qualify as a total yuppie since I equate $tarbuck$ to the Antichrist and occasionally I'm doing actual work at the mailbox. :)

Last edited:
   / Looking tough on a BX tractor carrying potted plants in the FEL #47  
DiezNutz said:
...I equate Starbucks to...

Antichrist may be a little strong. Attila the Hun, perhaps. No...wait...that's Wal-Mart.

/ Looking tough on a BX tractor carrying potted plants in the FEL #48  
No, I think Antichrist is good... after all, it's "false profits". ;) Just go into one on a busy morning and do nothing except just stand there for about 15 minutes and really take everything in as if you've just discovered a new civilization. See if in that time you haven't come up with at least half a dozen examples of what's wrong with our society today (hint: start with the menu). When I think of reasons why other countries hate us and might want to bomb us, $tarbuck$ ranks pretty high on my list - not that that's any excuse, of course. Sorry, that's my one & only political rant for today.