Looking tough on a BX tractor carrying potted plants in the FEL

/ Looking tough on a BX tractor carrying potted plants in the FEL #1  

bx24

Platinum Member
Has anyone else wondered why Kubota typically shows the more strenuous chores these little workhorses are good for like carrying potted plants and digging holes with the BH for other potted items? Are they subliminally trying to convince us to buy the larger models?

After a large meal I was spending some time in my library at home looking at different brochures I had laying around (my library has a sink if you catch my drift). As I was flipping through a Massey Ferguson 2310 brochure, their ad agency did a pretty good job of showing what a small tractor can do (moving dirt, gravel etc). If you flip through either a BX23 or BX24 brochure, you will see how well you can carry potted shrubs weighing at least 30lbs each.

Just curious if anyone else feels as tough as I do when I go to move and plant bigonia's with their machine!

/ Looking tough on a BX tractor carrying potted plants in the FEL #2  
Yes, I have noticed that too! I think they are trying to get the message across that every "estate" needs one of these handy wheelbarrow / shovels in their garage. Since you brought up the picture thing, I think it's interesting that the majority of pictures of the smaller tractors on TBN show these tractors working, while the pictures of larger tractors are often posed shots. I think we all are constantly surprised what these machines are capable of!

/ Looking tough on a BX tractor carrying potted plants in the FEL #3  
The ad guys are more clever than you're giving them credit for... who loves potted things more than women? And if they get your wife on board, thinking about all of the landscaping and gardening things she'll be able to do (or have you do), why then... how much easier it will be for you to buy that tractor. Hmmmm?
If they thought they could market strictly to the fellas with the same success, you'd see brochures with gun racks on the ROPS and deer carcasses strung up from the FEL.

/ Looking tough on a BX tractor carrying potted plants in the FEL
Having worked in the utility business for the better part of 15 years using everything from dozers to giant trenchers, I would have loved having one of these machines. Of course they cannot do everything, but they work really well when you need to do smaller jobs that still require tough equipment.

Like every other industry, the folks making the brochures probably don't have a clue and are only doing what they are told. I was hesitant before I wrote the check for the tractor, but after a couple a hundred hours I realize I should have bought one of these machines a long time ago.

/ Looking tough on a BX tractor carrying potted plants in the FEL
Deere apparently things the same way, as I went back to the main Kubota page, there is an ad on the top of the screen showing a Twenty Series Deere carrying a pine tree ..... At least it looks heavy!

The advertising to women concept seems plausible, but I know I did not try to sell the concept to my wife using the brochure because I knew she would push back saying I could do what is being done in the pictures with a wheelbarrow and shovel.

/ Looking tough on a BX tractor carrying potted plants in the FEL #6  
Meh, it's simple. They are marketing to yuppie homeowners who will want one of these to plant a shrub. That is their untapped market.

/ Looking tough on a BX tractor carrying potted plants in the FEL #7  
acohen100 said:
Meh, it's simple. They are marketing to yuppie homeowners who will want one of these to plant a shrub. That is their untapped market.
Yes, and then we all get to help them figure out how to change mower blades and find grease fittings ;)

/ Looking tough on a BX tractor carrying potted plants in the FEL #8  
DiezNutz said:
If they thought they could market strictly to the fellas with the same success, you'd see brochures with gun racks on the ROPS and deer carcasses strung up from the FEL.

BWAH HA HA HA HA HA!!!

/ Looking tough on a BX tractor carrying potted plants in the FEL #9  
I have always said that those fancy and glossy brochures were driven by Sales and Marketing Departments. I am also suspicious of the "specs" especially the competitor comparison charts. They must spend millions on consumer studies and market analysis. They really know what they are doing at influencing consumer spending patterns. I would bet that there is some subliminal sexuality hidden in those fancy pictures :rolleyes:. Jay

/ Looking tough on a BX tractor carrying potted plants in the FEL #10  
acohen100 said:
...yuppie homeowners...That is their untapped market.

Not trying to counter you Mr. acohen100, but wanted to share my thoughts only because this whole thread seems to be generalizing a type of purchaser...ME...and I'd like to clarify a few items.

In my early 30's...do I qualify as a "yuppie homeowner"? I'm asking. I really don't know. Folks who buy these want to do more than plant a shrub, I would suspect. Plant 100, perhaps. And move the associated 15 CY of soil. And 30 CY of mulch. Get something accomplished and still be able to go to church and watch the Sunday afternoon game. I think people smart enough to put their money in the right place, into something with REAL value and REAL purpose/function, are the "yuppie homeowners" that have CREATED the SCUT class of tractor.

I wouldn't insult the intelligence of, well, myself by saying my purchasing decision was swayed by a marketing brochure that had pictures of an FEL carrying around a GARDEN HOSE and thought to myself "BOY, that sure looks like a lot more like what I'm going to be doing than moving that huge tree...maybe I should buy THIS brand..."

Pictures of pretty green grass, manicured beds, and husband and wife working together in khaki's is a little unrealistic (I know MY grass has never looked anything other than BROWN despite the fact that I own a Kubota...), but they sure are pretty. And in the glossy advertisement world, pretty is pretty. And pictures of 3 guys with work boots and shovels looking into a muddy hole, while more realistic, is not quite as pretty.

And I would not say folks like me (yuppie homeowner) is their untapped market. I think they're tapping it pretty well.

And I think Mr. ChuckinNH got it right...nothing against the big boys at all (they do create our breadbasket from soil...something I can't seem to accomplish by looking at my veggie garden), but I see a HUGE number of "working" pictures, muddy tractors, modified tractors, and scratched tractors that oddly seem to be mostly BX with a few B's thrown in. Then I see a thread of the fine gentleman (honestly, it is fine...not trying to poke fun, but it suits my point) that painted the entire FEL bucket TWICE because the wife didn't like the color. The only time my bucket will have any particular "color" again (other than a mix of orange, primer, and bare metal) is when I buy a new one because mine is too deformed from destroying/carrying 600# stumps and the like.

If someone make a tractor purchase based on glossy images and competitor comparison charts, they should have their head examined.

Very sorry about that. Hopped off my soapbox. Please resume with regular programming.

Last edited: