Mowing Maximum Hillside Mowing

/ Maximum Hillside Mowing #1  

ovrszd

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota M9540, Ford 3910FWD, Ford 555A, JD2210
I've read several threads in the past regarding how steep of sideslope a tractor can be operated on. This past weekend I was mowing the roadbank and these discussions came to mind. I went to the house and got my camera. My Kubota B2910 has a Tiltmeter on the dash so I parked it on one of my slopes for pictures. The Tiltmeter just goes to 25 degrees so I picked a spot with that angle. I have spots that are steeper and I mow them regularly but when I do the little silver ball in the tiltmeter disappears off the window and I didn't want everyone saying there was something wrong with my gauge so I picked a spot where the ball is visible. I also tied a rope on my ROPS bar with a weight hanging from it creating a "plumb bob" for those that might question the accuracy of my tiltmeter.

My B2910 has filled rear tires and factory wheel spacing, front tires set in. It mows these areas with no indication of being anywhere close to tipping over.

My disclaimer here, so everyone don't get all crazy, is that you should always use your own judgement when doing anything that might cause injury on your tractor. For me and my tractor, 25 degrees is a cakewalk and I do it as fast as it will run in mid range. Now fire away!!! ;)

Attachments

• DSC01314.JPG
    DSC01314.JPG
    233.2 KB · Views: 1,914
  • DSC01315.JPG
    DSC01315.JPG
    235.8 KB · Views: 1,763
   / Maximum Hillside Mowing #2  
Although my tractor has ag tires (R1), I tested it under actual mowing conditions on a much steeper bank. It will just slide down the hill, nose first. If you need some data, I can get it for you because the hill, grass and path is still there. Most tractor + tire combinations are designed to slide before rolling. The lawyers have seen to that.

In my case, I release the linked brake pedals so i can use left or right brake steer to keep me aligned with the original path when mowing.

My hill is considerably more inclined than the one you show.

If you ever get a chance to check the sidepull ratio of your tractor, do it: Use a tilt bed trailer or other mechanism (another tractor with a loader) to set up your tractor on an inclined table and measure the angle of 2 wheel lift. Use some weight on the seat to simulate your butt.

Its actually pretty steep angle. It will have a tendency to reveal the 4 wheel slide angle to you. Having weighted rear tires and spread way out is the only way to go. That ensures that the fronts give up first on grass and down the hill you will safely go. Keep some paper towels handy.

Now let's hear back from the National ***-ocean of product liability lawyers...

/ Maximum Hillside Mowing #3  
Funny about this thread. I was planning on starting a similar thread showing how daring I was and how crazy-steep the slope was that I regularly mow on the side of my house.

Then I took these pictures. Looking at them, I feel like a granny. Not that the tractor is really close to tipping over, but it is angle enough that I only attack the slope "clockwise" so the weight of the OEM Bagger Impeller is on the uphill side of the slope. If the thing starts going over, it's not like you're sticking your leg out to right the thing like a Craftsman in a ditch. If you get off the tractor, you still can't lift the uphill rear tire by pushing on the ROPS (a test I did before mowing this area), but you can tell there isn't much weight on it, either.

In my configuration, I have bolt-on weights in the back wheels (~80# each side) and do not have filled tires.

I cannot (or will not) attack this slope with the FEL/BH attached. Just feels like the COG is way too high. Again, maybe I'm a granny, but there is only so much risk I'll take with life and limb (and expensive tractor) at stake.

And regarding getting any closer to "the edge", all it takes is LITERALLY a clump of dirt, a big stick, or some other seemingly innocuous object to shove you right over. Or a small hole on the downhill wheel. Anything. It can happen just too fast to risk.

Thanks for sharing, Mr. Ovrszd.

Keith

Attachments

• BX on slope front.jpg
    BX on slope front.jpg
    514.3 KB · Views: 1,958
  • BX on slope rear.jpg
    BX on slope rear.jpg
    709 KB · Views: 1,259
   / Maximum Hillside Mowing #4  
All of my kubotas have worked up and down the large hill found my backyard. I find the HST and 4WD to be a real asset here. The incline varies from 27 to 31 degrees, and the hill rises above the roofline of my two story house. I must confess that it can be a bit scary at times, when I am operating the Kubota, and suddenly find myself peering over the top of the roofline.

/ Maximum Hillside Mowing #5  
I think that tractor drivers in in England must be a lot more daring that those in the US :p

I never really think about some of the slopes that I work on and know people who make my slopes look silly.

But, loooking at your pictures some of my slopes look a lot steeper than that :eek:

Next time I will take some pics.

I have never seen a tilt meter for sale in England but I would like to have one some time to find out how steep my slopes really are.

There was a tractor rollover not so long ago near us with a tractor hay bobbing on a really steep slope (too steep to go up and down)

The tractor was set to narrow for it and was top heavy and on one really steep bit just fell over. 2 hours later, with the help of a bigger tractor it was hay bobbing the same slope again.

Last edited:
   / Maximum Hillside Mowing #6  
More than anything else, I want to live in a country where I can say "hay boobing" in a sentance and have those around me know what the heck I'm talking about.

/ Maximum Hillside Mowing #7  
Oops :)

/ Maximum Hillside Mowing #8  
ovrszd said:
I...
My disclaimer here, so everyone don't get all crazy, is that you should always use your own judgement when doing anything that might cause injury on your tractor. For me and my tractor, 25 degrees is a cakewalk and I do it as fast as it will run in mid range. Now fire away!!! ;)

Cakewalk? Truth be told, Junkman and SKurka have goaded me into asking why you obtained and installed the tiltmeter in this case?

:cool:

/ Maximum Hillside Mowing #9  
I took a few pics awhile back showing some slopes my BX23 mows on without problems. The bank out front has way too much slope so I mow it with a different machine :D

Attachments

• IMG_0349 small.jpg
    IMG_0349 small.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 1,064
  • IMG_0351 small.jpg
    IMG_0351 small.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 1,142
  • 876 bank.jpg
    876 bank.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 1,118
   / Maximum Hillside Mowing #10  
Volfandt said:
I took a few pics awhile back showing some slopes my BX23 mows on without problems. The bank out front has way too much slope so I mow it with a different machine :D

I like the look of that little mower with the sickle bar mower. Could you tell me more about it please? :)