Oil & Fuel Oil Type for your Kubota........

/ Oil Type for your Kubota........ #1  

don716

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota/ B7500/with 2000 lb winch
What type or brand of oil do you use in your engine on your kubota? My kubota dealer uses John Deere brand oil (15w/40). It's $3.49 qt. I asked him if there was any other oil to use and he recomended Delo 400 (15W40). I called my local auto parts store and the Delo 400 is $9.99 per gal. Any thoughts? It's about time to change my oil and I thought of switching oil but continueing to buy kubota oil filters.
Donny

/ Oil Type for your Kubota........ #2  
I just completed my 50hr service on my L2800 and switched to Shell Rotella T 15-40. The dealer uses straight 30wt Rotella but I preffer multi viscosity's. I run Shell Rotella T 15-40 in my Kubota ZD 21 as well. I believe that it's a great oil, and upon first start up at idle after changing the oil, the engine sounds a little quieter and smoother.

/ Oil Type for your Kubota........ #3  
There are normally a lot of recommendations here but to get you started. The diesel engine in a tractor is normally run at near full throttle full load conditions in dust and many other things.

To look at oil that was designed around an over the road truck that would be figured closer to one third load one third to two thirds throttle. A car is figured at one quarter throttle one quarter load.

There are far more names and brands of oil then there is blenders of oil and often one plant may make 100's of blends of oil out of one base stock just by adding different additives. Pick your favorite label and a color for the container and away we go!

These additives are normally enhancers that make the oil cling to the parts better, flow better in cold weather. And the list goes on to include ash to aborb the by products of partially burnt fuel from a cold running engine.

Some products you pay for the name, most times they got that from building a reasonable product. There are those oils out there that are a bargin in price as well as quality.

Depending on where you live, the hours you put on your tractor and when you plan to change your oil are all important as to which oil is best for you.

If I was to buy cheap oil I'd probably just change the oil and filter more often, but then I don't like to waste time so I buy good oil and reduce the mount of changes.

The last time I looked at both companies mentioned the ash content was about the same as well as the TBN on the the two oils mentioned and I consider them average oil. There is better and worse oils made.

/ Oil Type for your Kubota........ #4  
Delo 400 15/40 would work just fine.

/ Oil Type for your Kubota........ #5  
On my recent 50 hr change on my L3400 I used Kubota 15W-40 on the dealer's recommendation. Thats about all anyone seems to recommend around my area even though the manual states 10W30. What does your manual state?

Locally I have found Shell Rotella 15W-40 and 5W-40 synthetic. I might consider changing to the latter before winter... after some more research.

Last edited:
   / Oil Type for your Kubota........ #6  
Well your best bet is to...

ehh, nevermind.

/ Oil Type for your Kubota........ #8  
The Kubota dealer I purchased my tractor from uses the Castrol brand diesel oil. Works for me.

Randy

/ Oil Type for your Kubota........ #9  
don716 said:
What type or brand of oil do you use in your engine on your kubota?

I use Shell Rotella T 15W-40 ($8.00/gallon at WalMart last time I bought it). Rotella T isn't all that great of an oil, but if you change it at 50hr intervals like you are supposed to, it's fine.

JayC

/ Oil Type for your Kubota........ #10  
My last change I used REDLINE 15/40, and I really noticed a smoother quieter engine.
Since then I changed all my vehicles to REDLINE, and against all advice changed the tranny fluid in my motorhome ot the REDLINE fluid.

Prior to that Amsoil 15/40, and Delvav 1.