cracks in 60" mmm anyone?

/ cracks in 60" mmm anyone? #1  

twodogs

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
I have a b7800 with a 60" mmm. I have 240 hours on it. I use it to brush hog, cut my yard, & I use the FEL. I have probably used the mmm about 150 hours so far. Any time that I use the brush hog or the FEL the mmm is off the tractor. I took my blades off the mower yesterday to sharpen them & I noticed cracks on both sides of the mounting bracket on the front of the mower. The cracks are about 3/4" long. Of course, the deck is almost 2 years old, so it is out of warranty. The repair won't be expensive - a weld & grind, but the mower deck was & it ticks me off! I definitely expected more for what I paid for it. When I spoke to my dealer he told me that it was highly unusual for it to happen this early, and that it happens sometimes after 1000 hours of mowing. He said that they see it from people who mow commercially & abuse equipment, and that this is highly unusual given the hours on my machine. He suggested contacting Kubota to see if there was any other issues with this & that they would pay for the fix - about $60 by his estimate. I told him that I would have it taken care of locally since it wasn't worth loading the deck & driving an hour to the dealership, even if they do pick up the tab. I am curious - has anyone else noticed cracks on their deck without undue cause?

/ cracks in 60" mmm anyone? #2  
Still might be worth talking to them...They may want the deck back.

/ cracks in 60" mmm anyone? #3  
About 120 hours so far on the B7610 w/60" mmm...no cracks yet. But I expect them. My lawns are rough and the heavy, non-suspended, terrain following mower has got to be taking a beating at the support points. I stay in low range and slow down on the rough spots, in consideration of this; but it's only a matter of time. I'll probably be ticked off too when it happens.

Better mower damage than tractor damage. If the B7610 cracks, I'll be really ticked.
Bob

/ cracks in 60" mmm anyone? #4  
Are the cracks near the mounting bracket of the deck wheels or at the steel bars that connects the deck to the front portion of the tractor frame? I'm asking this because I have a 60" suspended mower that is 300+ lbs bouncing around down there when I hit one of (many)dozens of bumps while mowing. I guess I better start being careful.

/ cracks in 60" mmm anyone? #5  
I haven't had to weld any Kubota decks as you describe but I'd be looking for a reason!

/ cracks in 60" mmm anyone? #6  
My RCK60-24B has had the same issues. I bought the tractor( w/MMM) used at 850hrs and now have close to 1200hrs. I attributed it to the former owner driving over it to install and remove it. Every fall, when I take deck off for winter storage, I clean and inspect for damages. First two seasons I'd find cracks at the same location mentioned and around guage wheel attachment points, but since welding and building up those areas I haven't had any problems. The RC60-71B deck on my B7100 was a much sturdier built deck ( it was the drive over kind) and weighed about 30lbs more to show it!