B3030 FEL w/grapple hooks

/ B3030 FEL w/grapple hooks #1  

kirklowj

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030
Hello,

I'm about to take possession of a B3030 tractor with FEL 403, 60"MMM. I'm thinking that I could really use grappling hooks on the FEL but I'm not sure if I can add the hooks to my FEL or what I need to purchase in addition to the FEL i.e. quick connect attachement or some other device to add the hooks. :eek: This probably sounds like an elementry question to most on this site but I've never owned a tractor and most of my knowledge comes from reading info on this site.

thanks in advance for any help,
kirklowj

/ B3030 FEL w/grapple hooks #2  
kirklowj said:
Hello,

I'm about to take possession of a B3030 tractor with FEL 403, 60"MMM. I'm thinking that I could really use grappling hooks on the FEL but I'm not sure if I can add the hooks to my FEL or what I need to purchase in addition to the FEL i.e. quick connect attachement or some other device to add the hooks. :eek: This probably sounds like an elementry question to most on this site but I've never owned a tractor and most of my knowledge comes from reading info on this site.

thanks in advance for any help,
kirklowj

I am not sure what you are asking? If you mean hooks on the FEL bucket, they can be welded on by the dealer. If you mean a hydraulic operated grapple, you have a few options.

1) There is a company that makes a grapple that uses the FEL bucket pins and does not require any added hydraulics. It basically uses the existing bucket curl function to operate the grapple. I can't locate the URL though so someone else here will have to respond with it.
2) Add a regular pin on type grapple that uses the FEL bucket pins and would replace the bucket.
3) add a grapple to the existing bucket
4) add a skid steer type q/a so you can interchange the bucket with a grapple and other attachments like pallet forks etc.

Options 2 - 4 are going to require what is called a 3rd hydraulic function. That is not offered from Kubota on the B3030 as a factory option so you will need a 3rd party solution. I have the WR Long electric/hydraulic 3rd function on my B3030 which provides that function and runs around $500 if you install it yourself. I also have the ATI Tach-All on my B3030 which provides a skid steer type q/a so I can quick change between the bucket, grapple and pallet forks.

Valve Kits
ATI Corporation - Tach-All(tm) Quick Attach
Untitled Document
RBG
Grapple

FYI,
Norm

/ B3030 FEL w/grapple hooks
Amigauser,

Thanks for your reply. I should have been more specific but my knowledge is limited. I am talking about hydrolic grapple forks so I guess I need some sort of Q/A system installed on the tractor. I've seen some pictures of someone's B3030 tractor with the hooks installed but there was no close-up to determine if they were somehow added to the 403 FEL or a complete separate attachement. What I'm worried about is getting the tractor without the needed devices to add the hooks at some point.

Kirklowj

/ B3030 FEL w/grapple hooks #4  
If you go with the skid steer quick attach (ATI) get the ATI bucket. It comes predrilled for their grapple attachment. It is more expensive than the DIY verisions, but doesn't require any shadetree engineering or welding.

If you would rather have a full on grapple (no bucket), then the skid steer attach is also the way to go.

previous post covers adding the third function hydraulics - also known as "diverter valve" - there are sublte differences between the two, but either would provide the solution you need.

I have the ATI bucket (I forget which series) and it seems to be stronger built than the Kubota version (slightly heavier though...)

/ B3030 FEL w/grapple hooks #5  
Get the ATI skid steer quick attach - it opens lots of possibilities

Grapple
Forks
Different buckets
Snow plows
etc.

kirklowj said:
Amigauser,

Thanks for your reply. I should have been more specific but my knowledge is limited. I am talking about hydrolic grapple forks so I guess I need some sort of Q/A system installed on the tractor. I've seen some pictures of someone's B3030 tractor with the hooks installed but there was no close-up to determine if they were somehow added to the 403 FEL or a complete separate attachement. What I'm worried about is getting the tractor without the needed devices to add the hooks at some point.

Kirklowj

/ B3030 FEL w/grapple hooks #6  
I should note that the ATI quick attach is ~$600 plus you will probably pay a bit more for the skid steer bucket than the factory bucket. Make sure they credit you for not purchasing the Kubota bucket.

/ B3030 FEL w/grapple hooks
Thanks for the info, I just got off the phone with ATI and I think the grapple kit they offer would be fine. I have to talk with my Kubota dealer (Messick's in PA.) and see if they can install the kit ($850) using the Kubota bucket.

thanks again,
kirklowj

/ B3030 FEL w/grapple hooks #9  
Nice pictures of the grapple installed but I do have a question...do you have a problem, since you are not using teeth on tht bottom like a regualr grapple, with getting dirt off the roots, etc?

/ B3030 FEL w/grapple hooks #10