Grading Box Blade for BX

/ Box Blade for BX #1  

RayCo

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24, Case 580 Super L
Hi group. I've read a number of posts about box blades and I think that I could get some good uses out of one. For example, I just (finally) finished digging out a 65 foot walkway with my backhoe, but it seems that a box blade would have actually been more efficient to use. We have many more walkways to do over the next few years, and we also have lots of land that we're going to need to flatten out. (Already have a normal grader blade that helps somewhat with that.) So, my questions are:

1. Is the Kubota box blade (48" BL7548) really not the best one to get? I've read that it's lighter than many others and also a bit more expensive than some other solutions. I like the idea of getting the Kubota one, because a) it'll be nice Kubota orange :), and b) it seems that when it comes time to sell the tractor, it'd be a good thing to have all Kubota attachments to go with it.

2. I see that not all box blades have a hinged flap in the back. What are the advantages and disadvantages to having that?

Thanks to anyone with experiences and knowledge to share!

/ Box Blade for BX #2  
The hinged back cuts the wear on the rear cutting edge while pulling the box blade with the rear lower then the front for grading. To some it might mean a lot as far as wear on it but for average home users it doesn't make much difference. The 48" box blade on the back of a BX is a hand full for the tractor to say the least. To fill it you might even need to load the front bucket for ballast to help control wheel spin. I don't mean to say you can't, it just means it will work the tractor pretty good.

/ Box Blade for BX #3  
I have a 5' 4 shank blade without the hinged back.I have a level property and I can drop the shanks about an inch, tractor in 4WD, low and scrape an area with some roots that will cause all wheels engaged to spin, at times, but will do the job. Occasionally, a foot backwards is all that is required to break a small root from a line of 75' bordering Poplar trees in this particular area I was working in.

This is not exactly as shown. Price was right and they have a US web presence as well

Its easy to get a can of Kubota orange and replacement decals for whatever brand of box blade you do purchase. Even "Kubota" decals for the ends!:D

/ Box Blade for BX #4  
I've got the Farm Force BB from Tractor Supply for my BX2350. It's definitely heavy enough, and built very well. As a bonus, it's a beautiful color...

Attachments

• box blade.jpg
    box blade.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 1,951
   / Box Blade for BX #5  
I also have (and like) the box from Tractor supplyl. One quick comment on it though, if you plan on stressing the shanks (I had to loosen up some compacted gravel), you will probably want to reinforce the points where the shanks impact the cross bar. On mine, the square holes in the started to tear. If you are going to be in dirt most times this will not be a problem. The gravel I was going through came from the millings when the highway contractor re-did the road and there is some asphault mixed in that really glued things together in the sun. I would not hesitate to buy another one.

/ Box Blade for BX #6  
My Midwest box is orange, although it had no bearing on me buying it. The only implement I really cared about matching the tractor was my backhoe.

/ Box Blade for BX #7  
My gearmore 48" box is Red (bought it from a Mahindra dealer, weird got the tiller there too and it is orange) but it is no big deal to me and was less money than the kubota blade that I'm pretty sure someone else makes for them. It has no trouble stopping my bx with no damage to it in the cement that passes for dirt around here (sometimes I can't pull one shank). :cool:

/ Box Blade for BX #8  
Ray
I'm not sure how the Kubota fits the 3 point on the BX's.

I have a KK 48" (from TSC) and the only issue is the three point BX23 layout.
I'm not sure if the dimentions of the 24's are the same.
I re drilled the rear supports on the box blade that moved the top link point back about 2 inches, that gave more movement on top link it. I could only angle it flat or rear down now i can angle it to get the scarfers in contact only.
I also re drilled lift arms about 1 1/4 closer toward the tractor to get more hight of the box blade.

Ill try and get some pictures next weekend when I go up state.

tom

/ Box Blade for BX #9  
tommu56 said:
Ray
I'm not sure how the Kubota fits the 3 point on the BX's.

I have a KK 48" (from TSC) and the only issue is the three point BX23 layout.
I'm not sure if the dimentions of the 24's are the same.
tom

The BX24 like the BX2350 and 1850 have the hitch mounted on the tractor so normal three point hitch equipment fits. Do to the closeness of the tractor some equipment might still have some issues but not like on the older models. We often find difficulties from one make to the other, this past spring I sold a customer a Kuhn tiller which we sell for many tractors, even the BX's. The tiller would not fit on a Ford 2000 as the three point arms were so close to the tractor that the skid shoes would hit the tires.

/ Box Blade for BX #10  
RayCo said:
...it seems that when it comes time to sell the tractor, it'd be a good thing to have all Kubota attachments to go with it.
Only to a complete novice or someone very superficial. I especially wouldn't worry about 3PH attachments because of their "universal" nature. Whatever you buy, buy a quality implement and have a clear justification for it. The knowledgeable tractor buyer will appreciate that you bought the best tools for the job and realizes Kubota doesn't always make the best of everything that's available for your tractor.