Antifreeze disposal

/ Antifreeze disposal #1  

ToJo

Tractor
Kubota L3400 FEL
What are we supposed to do with used antifreeze? I live in the country and have a septic system. I can't pour it into a septic system according to all I have read. I can't pour it on the ground or bury it according to enviormentalists. I doubt that any service business would take it because, unlike oil, they get no benefit from it. I plan to use LOW TOX antifreeze when I change out my factory installed antifreeze this fall but even low tox is not supposed to be disposed of in a septic system or on my property. The authorities always tell us what not to do without a solution. Forget recycling - no one knows anything about that. They tell you to recycle rechargeable batteries too but provide no means to do it that I know of.

/ Antifreeze disposal #2  
Most service stations that take used oil will also take used A/F. Do you have a landfill close by? Around here all of the landfills have a separate tank for A/F (usually green) that's right beside the used oil tanks and the battery pile. I'm sure if you look just a little harder you'll find somewhere to dispose of it easily and properly.

/ Antifreeze disposal #3  
Your county should have a "transfer station" or "recycle station" or something similar that takes household hazardous chemicals. Check the phone book.

/ Antifreeze disposal #4  
Check your counties webpage, assuming they have one, they might have certain collection days where they have a designated area to take various household hazardous materials to on those days.

/ Antifreeze disposal #5  
We have something called "tox away day" here in my county. It only happens once a year and you can get rid of anything, including Refrigerators that would cost you 50 bucks to dispose of normally. You will probalby have to go to the county seat to find this stuff out

/ Antifreeze disposal #6  
From the Alabama Department od Environmental Management:

Currently, in the State of Alabama, waste generated by a household is exempt from regulation as a hazardous waste.
Although a municipal landfill is an acceptable method of disposal for waste antifreeze, other options for disposal should be
investigated in order to divert antifreeze away from land disposal. Alternatives to land disposal include reuse, recycling,
and household hazardous waste collection programs. Some businesses accept used antifreeze from do-it-yourselfers
for recycling. If you must dispose of waste antifreeze, absorb the liquid with a non-biodegradable absorbent such as sand
or kitty litter prior to placement in a landfill.

/ Antifreeze disposal #7  
In case what I was saying about the landfill wasn't clear, it is a recycling station, that just happens to be at the landfill... not a place where you just dump A/F.

/ Antifreeze disposal #8  
If you live in the country, you can fill a 5 gal bucket about 1/3 of the way up with antifreeze. Put a stight string thru a plastic pop or water bottle and attach it to the bucket - tightly - so the bottle will spin freely. Coat the bottle with pnut butter and put a wood 1x2 or similar as a ramp up to the edge of the bucket. Leave a 5" or so gap from the ramp to the bottle.

Mice will climb the ramp, jump across, the bottle will spin and they will wind up in the drink. The antifreeze will keep them from rotting and stinking.

I use this in my trailer up north and in the shop to keep the little devils down. Have gotten as many as 15 in 1 week up north when the weather turns cold. Fish them out and keep filling.

You do have to keep domestic animals out of the antifreeze as they will possibly drink it and die. You don't want that!!!

jb

/ Antifreeze disposal
My county has no program whatsoever and no landfill. I do have garbage pickup and the waste goes to a lanfill in another county. Untill some regulatory relief is forthcoming by the state, I will use the kitty litter method. Thanks to all for your input.

/ Antifreeze disposal #10  
john_bud said:
...Mice will climb the ramp, jump across, the bottle will spin and they will wind up in the drink. The antifreeze will keep them from rotting and stinking...
That's got to be one of the craziest ideas I've heard in a long time. Which is probably why it works.