difference between M4900/M5700 shuttle shift

/ difference between M4900/M5700 shuttle shift #1  

Builder

East PA or 750 mi. east of a short man named Dar__
Tractor
Kubota, AGCO, New Holland LB
The equipment brochure for the M4900/M5700 line from Kubota says "Hydraulic shuttle (M5700 only)". I gather this means that the 5700 needs no clutching when going from forward to reverse and that the 4900 does require that the clutch be depressed.

Other than the 5700 being faster to shift when doing loader work, would the 4900 trans be any different of a trans?

I remember my L39 being clutchless on the shuttle shift.

Bottom line is trying to decide if I'll really hate clutching on the 4900 to go between F & R.

/ difference between M4900/M5700 shuttle shift #2  
My M5700 has to be clutched to Shuttle between fwd. and rev.

Don't know that they made a M5700 with Hyd. Shuttle ???

/ difference between M4900/M5700 shuttle shift #3  
Builder said:
.......Bottom line is trying to decide if I'll really hate clutching on the 4900 to go between F & R.

Once we have a hydraulic shuttle, we get a little spoiled. If there's a lot of loader work, the hydraulic shuttle is worth getting. With a mechanical reverser (clutch to change directions) there's definitely a difference at first, but after a while tractor operation gets so familiar it may not be that noticeable. I would imagine that having two tractors, one each way, would tend to drive somebody nuts - but most of us don't have that problem.:)

/ difference between M4900/M5700 shuttle shift #4  
With my L4400 manual with manual shuttle, you really need to STOP completely to shift; otherwise you get a nasty clash.
simonmeridew

/ difference between M4900/M5700 shuttle shift #5  
simonmeridew said:
With my L4400 manual with manual shuttle, you really need to STOP completely to shift; otherwise you get a nasty clash.
simonmeridew
The specs say the gearbox is synchronized on the M4900 now (except the SUD model) so a stop isn't needed, just the clutch pedal.

/ difference between M4900/M5700 shuttle shift
rbargeron said:
The specs say the gearbox is synchronized on the M4900 now (except the SUD model) so a stop isn't needed, just the clutch pedal.

That's right. The 4 speed gear box is synchro. The shuttle shifter on the l/s of the steering column is not. I'm kinda surprised it's not offered on the 4900, otherwise I think it'd be about perfect. It's keeping me back from buying it as of now. Maybe I'll cave-in and buy it anyway, but I'm concerned I'll have difficulty adapting from one tractor to the other.