L2800 Cracked Rear End

/ L2800 Cracked Rear End #11  
Yep.. that's about what i would expect a 3pt backhoe to do to a scut/cut type tractor with no subframe...

soundguy

garren said:
A few months ago I noticed that my new L2800 was dripping oil on the shop floor. Depending on which attachment was on it determined how much oil dripped. The dealer said a drop or two was nothing unusual but I should keep an eye on it. It got worse and with the backhoe attached it really drips. I finally found the source today. The rear end is cracked on both sides of the 3 point hitch plate. When I put the outriggers down on the backhoe the cracks close up which would explain why it was dripping worse with heavier attachments. I only have 34 hours on the tractor and havent even had a chance to use abuse it yet. Has anyone else had or heard of this problem?

/ L2800 Cracked Rear End #12  
garren … sorry to see your tractor is “cracked”, hope you get it fixed ok.

Jw5875, thanks for the great pictures. I have been thinking of doing that reinforcement since seeing the broken tractor. Your install looks good. What did the parts cost? KennyV.

/ L2800 Cracked Rear End #13  
garren said:
Do you think the rear end was flawed? Can it be converted to subframe type? What should I request the dealer do?

Yes, I think you got a flawed casing (although I can't be positive)

To convert it will take fabrication, welding, making a frame and attaching it to the hoe.

I would want a new rear end, and would not be happy with anything less, another tractor would be ok.

/ L2800 Cracked Rear End #14  
KennyV,

I think the "Kubota Part" was around $!25.00 + -. We, (Me and Dealer)
exchanged parts several times to get the proper bracket. That's why I mentioned to have your Model and Serial Number when / if you order one.

After the support plate is installed, you may have to add some washers for spacers to get the seat bracket level. For some reason, all of the brackets sent to me did not have the area opened for the rubber vent tube, I milled mine out for it to fit over the vent tube.

I have more pics that I will post later,

JW 5875

/ L2800 Cracked Rear End #15  
I'm sure this is a flaw, this is NOT a common occurrence, especially with Kubota's. The fact that it cracked so fast is proof of that, it may have actually been cracked at purchase time and simply spread from then on. There are thousands of the B46XX BH's out there and you never really hear of these problems (I think I've heard of one other in the last 3 years!!!!), so they are rare and from what I've heard always turn out to be a casting/foundary problem with the metal, or flat out abuse of the unit.

Yeah I agree with Irwin. Repairs are not going to cut it, and I doubt Kubota will try. They will probably install a whole new rear end on it and I'm guessing that the cracked rear end will be sent for metalurgical testing to see what gave out.

I'm at 65 hours with my B7800 and B4672 with no problems and a buddy of mine is well over 2000 hrs with his BH with no problems. I think you just had really bad luck with a rear end that fell through the cracks of inspections! :(

/ L2800 Cracked Rear End
Heres a follow up on whats happened so far. I took the tractor to dealer this afternoon and had the shop foreman come out and look at the cracks.
He said that he has seen very few cracked or broken rear ends and they were usually caused by an issue with the travel of the lift arms. He had never seen one with cracks located where mine are. I told him that I felt that maybe the backhoe caused it. He says that they have sold many a backhoe like mine for these tractors and if it was to blame it will be the first time he has ever seen it.
They are going to replace the rear end and break mine down to try and figure out what happened. He said they will also check on the reinforcement plate that JW pictured and if Kubato will consider it an upgrade part they will be glad to install it for me.

BTW Thanks for the pics JW

I'll post more as this issue progresses

/ L2800 Cracked Rear End
Another update...The service dept. supervisor called me a few minutes ago and confirmed that the backhoe is the reason the housing cracked. He did some research on the issue and to his understanding Kubota had issued a service bulletin in 2004 referencing the reinforcement kit shown in JW's pictures. In his opinion the tractor should have never left the dealership without the plate being installed. He assured me that they would replace the rear end and install the plate at no charge to me.

Off the record... he said he doesnt like 3 pt backhoes...but this reinforcement plate should cure the problem.

Thanks again JW for the pics. This proves that "knowledge is power". Without those pictures I would have never known about the plate and would not have mentioned it to the service center. They in turn hadn't even heard about the bulletin until I showed up armed with my new knowledge from this forum. This info allowed them to succesfully research this issue and now I feel that the tractor will be fixed right the first time.

I'm really pleased with this dealership and service center. The fact that they took time to research the info I gave them and call me back with answers so quick says a lot in my book. They could have easily blew me off and blamed this problem on something else, fixed the rear end and sent me on my way...in which case I would have been down the road a few "backhoe hours" later with another cracked housing.

/ L2800 Cracked Rear End #18  
TalonDancer said:
The zip file opened just fine using StuffIt (Mac OS X). BTW it contains several pictures of rear ends ...of tractors :)
Turned out to be something unrelated - worked just fine then on my WinXP machine not to burst your Mac bubble :)

JW - nice pics. What top link is that?
garren - hope this ends well for you. You know, your tractor would easily support a stronger/bigger 4pt-subframe hoe like a BH75 or Woods BH80-X... curious why you didn't go that route?

/ L2800 Cracked Rear End
garren - hope this ends well for you. You know, your tractor would easily support a stronger/bigger 4pt-subframe hoe like a BH75 or Woods BH80-X... curious why you didn't go that route?

If I would have known then what I know now.... ;)

/ L2800 Cracked Rear End #20  
garren said:
Another update...The service dept. supervisor called me a few minutes ago and confirmed that the backhoe is the reason the housing cracked. He did some research on the issue and to his understanding Kubota had issued a service bulletin in 2004 referencing the reinforcement kit shown in JW's pictures. In his opinion the tractor should have never left the dealership without the plate being installed. He assured me that they would replace the rear end and install the plate at no charge to me.

Off the record... he said he doesnt like 3 pt backhoes...but this reinforcement plate should cure the problem.

Thanks again JW for the pics. This proves that "knowledge is power". Without those pictures I would have never known about the plate and would not have mentioned it to the service center. They in turn hadn't even heard about the bulletin until I showed up armed with my new knowledge from this forum. This info allowed them to succesfully research this issue and now I feel that the tractor will be fixed right the first time.

I'm really pleased with this dealership and service center. The fact that they took time to research the info I gave them and call me back with answers so quick says a lot in my book. They could have easily blew me off and blamed this problem on something else, fixed the rear end and sent me on my way...in which case I would have been down the road a few "backhoe hours" later with another cracked housing.

Garren. It's nice to hear a positive post about a dealer. I hope things work out well with the repair. Keep us posted.