Ballast Ballast Box

/ Ballast Box #1  

PAGUY

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2200, Gravely mower
I am a newbie who recently bought a 2003 BX2200 with Fels and 60"MMM.
It came with all manuals and a ballast box that looks almost brand new (must never had been used).

My question is what do you fill the ballast box with for the summer and come winter? Will only use it if working with Fels and no MMM installed.

I read 60 pages of threads already and never seen any mention of using the ballast box.

I have had a 16hp Gravely tractor for at least the last 7 years but bought the Kubota due to 4 wheel drive vs. the 2 wheel drive I have been using with chains to do my uphill macadam driveway.

Thanks in advance - PAGuy

/ Ballast Box #2  
I haven't seen too many store bought ballast boxes on the forum, but I have seen some really cool home built ones with added storage slots etc.

Most of the fellas already have some type of attachment on their 3 points providing counterweight for their FELS. BH's, BB's PH's

/ Ballast Box #3  
PAGUY said:
My question is what do you fill the ballast box with for the summer and come winter? Will only use it if working with Fels and no MMM installed.

I believe most folks fill them with cement. Some have put PVC pipe pieces in the ballast box first and then filled them with cement so that they can place shovels or other hand tools in the PVC tubes. Basically the cement adds the weight and the tubes sticking out the top allow you to carry things with handles on them.

My own ballast box I just filled with rocks but cement is heavier.

Norm

/ Ballast Box #4  
In the old days, scrap iron was commonly used. Now that the price of scrap is up, 'crete is popular. But good old fashioned sand is always a good standby. About 150# per cu ft.

jb

/ Ballast Box #5  
PAGUY said:
I am a newbie who recently bought a 2003 BX2200 with Fels and 60"MMM.
It came with all manuals and a ballast box that looks almost brand new (must never had been used).

I read 60 pages of threads already and never seen any mention of using the ballast box.

Boy, you must have just read the thread titles. There have been several threads touching on the use of ballast boxes (but not as the primary subject).

Anyway, I use sand. Mine was used and that's what was in it when I bought it. I prefer the sand, as I can replace it easily and use other (removable) ballast if I wish. Also, in winter, I can shovel the sand out to increase traction if necessary.
And, I can use the box as a hauler of other items (like a carryall) if I dump the sand.
So far, sand has given me adequate traction.

/ Ballast Box
Thanks guys,

I was leaning towards sand. I figured B-2 stone also as a possibility. Cement seems like a permanent solution. Empty I can at least pick it up and place it for storage.

I really like this site. You guys are very helpful and knowledgeable. Keep up the good work. I know I appreciate and I'm sure others do as well.

/ Ballast Box #7  
You can wet the sand to make it a little heavier, and it just doesn't seem as dumb as a box of rocks :D

/ Ballast Box #8  
One of my neighbors uses crushed rock just like the kind that covers his driveway. If needed he shovels that under the tires in the winter.

/ Ballast Box #9  
Mine's full of sand, but someday, I'm gonna dump it out, put in some 4" PVC pipe sections about 3' long and put the sand back in....someday.

/ Ballast Box #10  
I have the ballast box for my 2230 also. I buy tube sand like you would put in the back of the truck. 3 bags of that and the weight of the box itself gets you to up around 300 pounds of weight.

Portable and does the trick.