Thumb broke my tractor

/ Thumb broke my tractor #1  

dieselmadman

Bronze Member
Tractor
2007 Kubota BX24
Hey all,
Even after reading about how the Wallenstein Thumb can creep up the boom and bust the hydro fitting, I didn't do anything about it and sure enough, busted the fitting. Unfortunately, there is not enough of the fitting to grab hold of. Anyone know an easy way to get that fitting out? Do I have to drill and tap or is there a tool that will extract it without a major production? I bought the thumb with the tractor and the dealer attached it before I picked the tractor up, so do you think it would be covered under warranty? I should be able to do it myself, but I get nervous around drilling and tapping. Any thoughts?

/ Thumb broke my tractor #2  
dieselmadman said:
Hey all,
I bought the thumb with the tractor and the dealer attached it before I picked the tractor up, so do you think it would be covered under warranty?

I think that's at least where I'd start...prior to doing further damage trying to get that busted fitting out. Hopefully, the dealer is conveniently close to you.

/ Thumb broke my tractor #3  
Actually there is a tool you can use for that any well suited hardware supply house will carry 妬nternal pipe wrenches it fits inside the pipe and has an exocentric section that engages the ID of the piece allowing you to turn it in or out. Very handy tool and not too pricey. KennyV.

/ Thumb broke my tractor #5  
An EZ out will work. Any hardware store should have it.

/ Thumb broke my tractor
Thanks for the replies. Never used the "Internal pipe wrenches. How do they work? Thanks.

/ Thumb broke my tractor #7  
Obviously there is an abnormal amount of people breaking their tractors with these bolt on thumbs. Be careful!

/ Thumb broke my tractor
Ok, I have extracted the broken fitting (kind of embarrassed, it was pretty easy just using a flute extractor). Anyone know the replacement size for the fitting? I don't have a Kutoba parts manual and it's Sunday. Hoping I could pick one up at the hardware store. Thanks.
Dennis

/ Thumb broke my tractor #9  
Hardware store hardware isn't suitable for high pressure fittings. Find a auto parts store that has the proper fitting in stock for your needs. Bring in the old one, and they will match up a new one. The price shouldn't be more than a few dollars. Hope that you remembered to cover the hole to keep dirt and water out...

/ Thumb broke my tractor
I did remember to cover the hole. Hardware store didn't have anything close anyway. Couldn't really know which one was the perfect match until I extracted the stuck piece to see if the end was flared. I was guessing it was, but when I got it out it wasn't. Glad I waited. Going to my dealer this morning. Just curious, does anyone know if it would have made a difference if I used a flared end when it wasn't supposed to be? Thanks.