Backhoe Quick-connect leak to BX24 backhoe

/ Quick-connect leak to BX24 backhoe #1  

stewbintn

Tractor
Kubota BX24
Have about 25 hours in on a new BX24. Been a great machine so far, sure beats my previous pick'n'shovel method :).

Anyway, I've noticed a leak in the hydraulics and couldn't quite figure out the source as the sleeves tend to soak up the fluid and mask the source. Pulled all the sleeves off and cleaned things up and I can now clearly see the problem when I up the RPMs, right at the quick connect from the tractor to the backhoe. O-rings (looks like 2 or at least another teflon sleeve in there) look ok and I swabbed out a couple of small particles in the female side, but it still wants to leak. Taking the backhoe out of the circuit altogether and connecting back to the power beyond port, the leak seems to stop so it seems to be the female half of the coupling on the backhoe side.

Is this common for these couplings to leak? I've got a message in to my dealer and have stopped working for the moment. Fluid level is low, but still in the safe zone, but it's leaking enough that it pools in the backhow framing and dribbles a little trail when I go down/up hill.

Thanks,
Stew Benedict
New Tazewell, TN

/ Quick-connect leak to BX24 backhoe #2  
Hi Stew, I had problems with my quick disconects as well, mine leaked at the FEL. I told my dealer about it and he handed me a hand full of connectors no questions asked. I think that it my be a common problem. You might want to keep a eye on the swing part of your BH. the fittings there tend to get loose often. You should keep some hydro fluid on hand (you`ll need it). Have fun with your new toy!!

/ Quick-connect leak to BX24 backhoe #3  
Probably an oring is cut.

I always keep a can of wd-40 on my tractor to spray out QD female ports and male ports before connecting them.

Those oring are hard buggers to replace!

Soundguy

/ Quick-connect leak to BX24 backhoe
Thanks All,

Dealer got me a new female quick-connect and leak went away, Never did find an issue with that o-ring, but I may keep a couple of connector sets around just in case. Did note a couple of other small leaks today working on the new driveway, but they were just at the compression fittings on one of the stabilizers and the backhoe. Snugged them back up and they seem ok.

Amazing the work these little tractors can do. I'm about 40 ft in cutting the new drive on a fairly steep slope. Couple more days at it and I should have enough leveled out to get another carport to keep the tractor and some of my other "toys" in.

/ Quick-connect leak to BX24 backhoe #5  
Although this does not sound like your problem, I have found a very large percentage of hydraulic connections on my bx24 were not sufficiently tightened. I have had to tighten up at least a half dozen of them. Knock on wood, all of my problems have been solved to date with some fresh teflon tape and a couple of wrenches

/ Quick-connect leak to BX24 backhoe #6  
I like the idea of cleaning off the connectors to prevent O-ring deterioration. I'm not all that sure WD-40 is the correct product to use. Wouldn't a silicone spray designed to work with rubber/ neoprene material be better? Again, I'm not opposed to WD-40, I just question that which is the best product for the job.