D650 dynamo thingy

/ D650 dynamo thingy #1  

solwisestsve

Okay... first post :)

I have a B6001 which has the D650 engine. I've been trying to check if the charging system is working but having problems trying to understand exactly what is what (the circuit diagram doesn't match what I have).

There is some form of generator on the nose where the fan is. This has three wires coming out; brown, white, yellow. I also have a regulator/rectifier which has 5 wires (can't remember the colours but, ISTR, there are two reds, a white and a blue). The white wire was broken but I've reconnected it to permanent +12V. I have no charging light so I guess I have a dynamo.

Now the problem is the voltage at the battery, with the engine running seems to be too low :-( I'm seeing about 12.7 volts which would tend to suggest a very low charge. The feed from the rectifier (or it could be a regulator) coming out of the white wire shows about 0.3 to 0.4 Amps with engine running and no other electrical load. If I turn the headlights on I see 2.3Amps coming from the rectifier. BTW the battery is freshly charged.

Can anyone please advise what the heck I have here?
i.e. is this a dynamo?
What should be present on the 3 wires from the dynamo?
Do I have a rectifier or a regulator and how should it be wired?
Also, what sort or charging voltage should I have with a fully charged battery?

Sorry for so many questions but I've spent several hours on this so far with very little advancement :)

Thanks in advance for all advice.

Steve

(Kubota virgin)

/ D650 dynamo thingy #2  
I have a parts list for my B7100 HST that also has diagrams. If you feel this would be helpful please send me your email address and I will send it to you.:D

/ D650 dynamo thingy #3  
I'm pretty sure it's a dynamo. If so the voltage coming out at low rpm's is pretty low. Crank the rpms up and you should see around 13volts if I remember correctly. I attached the schematic for my b6100, yours may be similar. It's a little blurry but if you download it you can zoom in more.

Attachments

• wiring.jpg
    wiring.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 8,226
   / D650 dynamo thingy
Thanks this is much more like what I have... not 100% the same but very close. I seem to have a white wire that goes from the regulator back to the permanent live but yours is red. I also can't figure out why the diagram shows a white wire from the generator to the light switch but your light switch is different.

So, can I please ask, what sort of voltage do you see on the battery with the engine reving?

I've measuered mine at low and high rpm and it still only shows about 12.7V. However, I see the current from the regulator to permannent live (Red on your diagramm but white on my vehicle) is c. 0.4Amps with no load and rises to about 2.3Amps with the lights on. This would tend to suggest that the regulator is sending out a tricle charge normally but does increase the current/power output dependant upon load (e.g. rises when the lights go on).

In antisipation... thanks :)

/ D650 dynamo thingy #5  
It may take me a day or 2 to get time and measure the voltage on mine. Hopefully the anticipation doesn't eat you up.

/ D650 dynamo thingy
In antisipation... thanks :)

I might have doen enough checking to satisfy myself that it IS charging but, any measurments you can supply would hopefully re-enforce this :)

Did a big measuering session last night. Measuered volts (on the battery) and amps (coming out of the +ve terminal). This is what I found...

At rest vehicle off: 12.48V 0A
Ignition on but engine not running (but oil warning light is on): 12.45V 0.23A
Ignition on but engine not running with lights on : 12.29V 2.27A

So the above shows that current is certianly flowing out of the battery when the engine is NOT running. Then I started her up...

No lights etc.. on: 12.61V -1.55A
(i.e. current is now flowing the other way and into the battery)
Now with the lights on: 12.66V -1.60A

Looks like I certainly have some current going into the battery when the engine is running. I just wonder if 12.6V is enough to charge the battery? Didn't I read somewhere that you need at least 2.15V per cell to charge a lead/acid battery? That would say 12.9V. However that assumes the battery is delivering the normal 2.15V per cell. Mine seems to be doing 12.45V at rest (only 2.07V per cell) so maybe 12.6V charging is enough as a tricle charge?

/ D650 dynamo thingy #7  
Check the battery with a hydrometer for a more accurate indication of the battery condition. [ If its possible on your battery]:D

/ D650 dynamo thingy
Wilco...

Now where is that hydrometer? Not used one for about a decade so might have to pop along to the local motor factors to get one :)

/ D650 dynamo thingy #9  
From my recollection, a dynamo gives out DC while an alternator gives out AC which is rectified inside the alternator and sends DC to the battery.

Voltage is regulated by varying the current into the field windings on both types. If the load is light, the field current is low. If the load increases, the voltage drops and more current is fed into the field winding to bring the voltage back.

A fully charged battery after being left standing for say 24 hrs, will read around 13v to 13.5v. If the voltage is read straight after charging or with the engine running at moderate speed, the voltage would be around 14v.

When the engine is off and lights on, the voltage on a good battery with good terminal connections should read around 12.5 to 13v. If the engine is started, it should rise to 13.5 to 14v.

Measure the voltage while starting the motor. The voltge should drop to 9 to 10v while cranking.

If these voltages don't agree with what you are getting, check the terminal posts and cables are clean. If they are clean, you may have a faulty battery.

Can you measure the current in the field winding? You can locate the wire by disconnecting a cable (obviously not the one going to the battery!!) and the voltge will drop and no charge should go to the battery. The current should go from the regulator into the field winding and increase with load.

You may also have a faulty regulator. You can test the generator/alternator by bypassing the regulator and feed the field winding through a lamp to limit the current. Try various lamps to get one that allows sufficient current through. The voltage from the gen/alt should increase as you feed more current into the field winding.

Cityfarma

/ D650 dynamo thingy
Sounds like my battery is pants then :-(

It's probably been in store in Japan for a few months and then on a boat an then in store in the UK for a few months so not unexpected.

I'll contact the supplier and get him to sort it.

Thanks for the pointers.

Steve