Mowing Mid Mount Mower Removal

/ Mid Mount Mower Removal #1  

mrwitty_1

OK, being a long time small equipment and tractor person I have a little trouble with how to remove the mower from my B7100 as is states in the owners manual. It says to drive over the mower after disconnecting the linkage and PTO shaft, I'm afraid that it will not only crush the covers over the right and left spindles but also flex the deck and may cause stress cracks. Not to mention the chance of bending the linkage if it should get caught on something. The question I have is how do the members here remove there decks. Thanks...

/ Mid Mount Mower Removal #2  
I tried that once with my B-7200 and didn't like it. I couldn't tell that it hurt it but from then on, I just jacked it up or used a ***-a-long to pick up the front end. On my new B-7800, I use the FEL to pick the tractor up. They do make drive over decks as the 72" one for the B-7800 was one (I got the 60").

/ Mid Mount Mower Removal #3  
My B7100 60 in. mower deck is a drive over version. It's been not been injured in the many times it has been installed or removed. :D

/ Mid Mount Mower Removal #4  
I have a drive-over (per the manual) version 72 MMM but I am also hesitant to drive over so haven't, afraid it would damage it. It simply doesn't look strong enough, particularly when you add the weight of an FEL. I have always wondered whether the manual accounts for the possibility of having a FEL attached when they suggest driving over the MMM. The manual doesn't specifically say "remove the FEL before driving over the MMM". I would hate to damage the MMM.

/ Mid Mount Mower Removal #5  
I wish mine was a drive over one

/ Mid Mount Mower Removal #6  
I use the FEL to lift the tractor up to get the MMM in and out from under the tractor. If you have a FEL try it.

/ Mid Mount Mower Removal #7  
ByronBob said:
I use the FEL to lift the tractor up to get the MMM in and out from under the tractor. If you have a FEL try it.

Respectfully, I disagree. If you do FEL work all the time and have no issue with mowing with the FEL on, this may not be too unwieldly. If, however, you are putting the FEL on and off just to get the MMM on and off, this is far more work than necessary. I have a dolly made of 1/2" ply cut to the outline of the skirt around the MMM, with 16 two inch swivel casters. On a smooth surface the MMM slides in and out quickly and easily on the dolly. Holes in the plywood where the spindle tips go allow the driveline to turn when attaching to the PTO. I get the MMM on or off in about 3 minutes.

/ Mid Mount Mower Removal #8  
I raise my machine up in the front with an overhead hoist. Deck pulls right out under the front wheels. Done deal.

/ Mid Mount Mower Removal #9  
ByronBob said:

Agreed. On my B7610 it took barely over 5 minutes to go from MMM with no FEL, to MMM with FEL, to FEL with no MMM. Add another 1.5 min if you want a tractor with no MMM or FEL.

It seems like a lot of plugging/unplugging/pinning/unpinning etc. But the clock doesn't lie. And the raised front end gives the deck all the room in the world to slide out.

BTW: The MMM on my new Deere comes off in just over 7 minutes (no FEL needed). It's not as straight forward an operation as the B7610, even when you factor in the need to put on and off the FEL.

/ Mid Mount Mower Removal #10  
"Drive-over" decks are a gimmick, really. You have to chock the gauge wheels well to keep that 400-lb skateboard from squirting out from under you. By the time you deal with all the hassle & risk, it's just as easy (and safer) to roll the deck out the side.