BX BH quick connect advice

/ BX BH quick connect advice #1  

teachdocs

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX23
I'm sure anyone with a BX has thought about those hydraulic lines when connecting and disconnecting the BH unit. They seem to be pretty close to several pinch points. Despite being careful, I ended up in a real "situation" the other day:

With the lower pins set in place, I used the BH to raise the upper clench pins to where they would snap into place. Despite trying to be careful, one of the hydraulic lines was pinched hard just as the pins snapped closed. This effectively closed off the hydraulic circuit, put a load on the hydraulic pump, and the controls would not do a thing.

I quickly turned off the engine and tried to release the pressure on the lines. Nothing would move. I tried to disconnect the quick connects but was unable to do so from the pressure on the lines.

Since the bucket is sitting on the ground, basically holding up the back of the tractor, I needed to get the pins released and then get the pressure off the BH pivot points.

After pulling the pins back and keying them in place, I put a jack under the rear of the tractor (not the BH). By raising the rear of the tractor a couple of inches, the BH boom angle fell enough to take the pressure off the pins, hydraulic lines, and released the pinch condition.

At this point, I was able to disconnect the hydraulic lines, but unable to reconnect them until I released the pressure by tapping the valve in the end of each quick connect several times.

If you get in this "pinch" again, just remember to release the pins, jack up the back of the tractor and let the BH pivot away from the tractor.

Anyone else ever been in this "pinch" and what did you do to get out of it?

/ BX BH quick connect advice #2  
I came close to pinching the lines but avoided any damage.

The bigger problem I had was not being able to couple the lines together due to;

1. The factory's placement of a cable tie holding two lines in a bundle, and that the tractor was tilting down at the front. This made the lines too short to plug up.
2. Once I removed the cable tie I still couldn't get the coupling to couple due to high line static pressure. So I cut off tractor(duh?) and lowered all equipment to ground, deck and fel. This made it possible to plug the couplings together. Owners manual needs to use a more check list approach to these precedures. Technical writing is not kubotas strong suit.