L2800 Intermittent Starter Problem

/ L2800 Intermittent Starter Problem #1  

Don R.

Bronze Member
Tractor
2005 Kubota L2800
From time to time after running my tractor for several hours it refuses to start after stopping the engine. It clicks, but it almost sounds like a safety switch is not operating correctly. After the tractor cools off, it will start as if there was never a problem. Wouldn't you know it, the 2 year warranty expired on the 2nd of September, and the dealerships were closed when this started.

/ L2800 Intermittent Starter Problem #2  
I've had starters in cars that would get hot and not turn over. Heat shields have now been added to most cars. A heat shield might help yours last a little longer.

/ L2800 Intermittent Starter Problem #3  
Don R. said:
From time to time after running my tractor for several hours it refuses to start after stopping the engine. It clicks, but it almost sounds like a safety switch is not operating correctly. After the tractor cools off, it will start as if there was never a problem. Wouldn't you know it, the 2 year warranty expired on the 2nd of September, and the dealerships were closed when this started.

I think if you hear a click it is probably not a safety switch. Sounds more like a solenoid. Get someone to make it click and listen around and see if you can find the click.

/ L2800 Intermittent Starter Problem #4  
If you have the HSD, try rocking your hydrostatic pedal and allow it to find it's home on the safety switch.

/ L2800 Intermittent Starter Problem #5  
I would not be impressed with a dealer that refuses to assist with a fault that happens only days after warranty finishes. :mad: I would be returning to the dealer with the problem if you don't fix it yourself.

Cityfarma

/ L2800 Intermittent Starter Problem #6  
Looking at the prints there is a starter relay and a solenoid in the starter. If a safety switch is open neither will operate. If you hear a click I'd bet it is the relay and the solenoid on the starter is stuck.

/ L2800 Intermittent Starter Problem #7  
Don R. said:
If the starter solenoid clicks then the safety switches are likely not the problem - the starter solenoid is getting voltage if it clicks. But it may not be getting enough amperage to pull in the starter. One thing to try before diving deep is to exercise and/or clean & tighten the wiring connectors at the solenoid. Also tighten the positive cable and make sure your battery terminals are tight. Starter solenoids require a fair amount of current (maybe 20+ amps) so all wiring conections need to be good. If this tractor has a fusible link, a short loop of red wire at a plug near the starter, it could have marginal crimp connections inside the plug. It can be checked by unplugging it and substituting a piece of heavy copper wire - like house wire. If jumping the link cures the problem, get a new fusible link (around $5). Don't leave the jumper in place permanently because the starting circuit should have fuse protection. As always, prompt cheerful refund if info is bogus. Good luck, Dick B

/ L2800 Intermittent Starter Problem #9  
The click you are hearing is the fuel solonoid when you turn the key to the on position more than likely.
It still can be a safety switch like the one in the hydro pedal...which is notorious for being out of position, the band for this switch is very small.
You have to rock the pedal very, very slowly for it to make contact.

On way to troubleshoot voltages going to the starter is to get a third hand and foot to attempt to start tractor and check for voltage at the starter solonoid.

If you think it's a heat thing which I don't because I have 214hrs on my L2800 and have never had a heat related start problem...it has always been the hydro pedal but I haven't had that problem in over a year.

You can jump the starter to make the starter engage thus bypassing all the saftey switches to verify the starter works....( if it is a gear tractor make darn sure it is in neutral )

/ L2800 Intermittent Starter Problem #10  
Wushaw, While he didn't say so I assume the click he is hearing is when turning the key to the start position. If not, then It may be the fuel solenoid he is hearing. I can't hear the fuel solenoid on my L3400 but then my ears aren't too great anymore.