B6100 Loose steering

/ B6100 Loose steering #11  
myyaz33 said:
Just like many others, I lost my steering on my B6100 today moving some snow. Thanks to this thread I knew what to look for.

Looks like both the thrust bearings are shot and I have some damage to the worm gear. I wanted to post a picture of the worm gear to get some opinions on whether it needs replaced or could be repaired?

Pictures 1 & 2- Steering shaft showing the damaged worm gear. Any chance it will be salvagable?

I would say no based on my experience... mine only had a small nick to start. How do the bearing races look? Mine were slightly damaged at the ends where they insert into the block. It didn't take long for everything to get much worse. I think the bearing races let a bearing by and the worm gear really got trashed. I got a new shaft, block and bearings etc. as one unit from the dealer. I did see somewhere on the internet where you could buy just the bearings and races but I can't find it now.

myyaz33 said:
Picture 3- Bottom of steering post. I see a damaged oil seal (maybe part #09500-16287). Is that a sleave on top of it that comes out?

If I remember right, the piece the bearing presses against is pressed in. I think I used my slide hammer with a hook or L in the end and it popped right out.

Might be a good time to convert to Power Steering ;) I kept my old shaft in case I decide to make something like this:

KUBOTA B7300 TRACTOR POWER STEERING CONVERSION KIT - (eBay item 300135871424 end time Dec-25-07 08:42:12 PST)

Charles

/ B6100 Loose steering #12  
I'd guess on repacement of the worm drive shaft. :(

Check with the dealer service manager.:D

/ B6100 Loose steering #13  
Charlz- The races look pretty good. Not sure if all, but most bearings were still in the race when I pulled it apart. Anyone have an idea of how many bearings are in there to start?

I thinking I may just order 2 sets of thrust bearings and use the first set to put it back using the original shaft to see how long it goes. I think I will also then go ahead and buy a new assembly now as I really don't know how long these parts will be available.

Nearly all places I have looked online the price for the assembly is $235.00 nowadays. Fortunately, I did find a place that has them for $135.00. The steep prices really did get me thinking of power steering, but not sure I want to spend 1k for it and I am not sure I have the needed skills to make it work.

Thanks for the tip on the slide hammer. Just another tool I will have to head into town for. Oh well probably time to start my Christmas shopping.

Thanks

/ B6100 Loose steering #14  
I have been thinking about this all day. Going to go ahead and getting a new assembly and when it goes, I will do the power steering. Thanks all.

/ B6100 Loose steering #15  
myyaz33 said:
Nearly all places I have looked online the price for the assembly is $235.00 nowadays. Fortunately, I did find a place that has them for $135.00.

myyaz33: thanks for posting these pictures. I'd only seen the line drawings in the manual up 'til now, and didn't really know what was going on in there.

So, care to share the details of where you found the $135 deal? What comes in that assembly exactly? It sounds like it would have to be everything between the steering wheel and the pitman arm.

/chris

/ B6100 Loose steering #16  
Here are a couple more pictures of the steering system.

Now that I have my order placed, I can safely share where I got it from. (Sorry for my selfishness) Sam's Tractor. Here is the link Kubota

Doesn't look like many TBN'ers have ordered from them and the one that did had to wait some time for their part. I haven't got mine yet so, I guess I can't rate them.

I would have liked to support Messicks or TractorSmart.com but at a $100 savings it was a no brainer.

Attachments

• b6100-steering-4.jpg
    b6100-steering-4.jpg
    480.1 KB · Views: 238
  • b6100-steering-5.jpg
    b6100-steering-5.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 237