B6100 Loose steering

/ B6100 Loose steering #1  

wjoerob

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota 6100
Recently got a B6100DT, and the steering has a lot of "play" in it. Everything is working OK as far as I can tell. One guy told me that the bearings needed to be replaced. Another guy told me that every small Kubota has this same condition, nothing to worry about.
How can I tell if this is a real problem? Also, does anybody know if this is a very complicated or expensive fix, to replace the bearings?
Thanks for your help.
Joe in Indiana

/ B6100 Loose steering #2  
If the 6100 is the same as the B7100 there is an adjustment to tighten the steering box.

On the right side of the box there should be cap that hides a nut with a screw in it. Back of the nut and tighten the screw. This should take some of the play out of the steering box.:D

If you send me your email I can send you some manual files.

Last edited:
   / B6100 Loose steering #3  
My steering assembly was replaced before I bought my 6100. And it was still loose as a goose. Adjusted that at the bottom and made all the differance in the world! I don't have the service manual and just turned it lightly in till it "felt' right.

Rory

/ B6100 Loose steering #4  
Does it 'stick' or 'pop' at all? if so the thrust bearings in the steering box may be shot. Had this problem with my b7100. Change the fluid and take a look at it. Unfortunately for me the junk from the bad bearings nicked the steering shaft worm gear and even after changing the thrust bearings it eventually self destructed. I had to replace the whole shaft and steering block (comes as a unit) for $150+ in parts. I think the bearings were about $6 each... might want to tear into it anyway and see if they need replaced.... fairly easy to do and could save you some $$$ in the long run. Not too mention I had a **** of a time getting the new steering shaft. Supposedly a mix up with Kubota changing to new part numbers but I am not so sure they are not phasing out b7100 parts.

/ B6100 Loose steering #5  
As others mentioned.. some play can be removed with the sector adjustment stud.

If the steering wheel rises and falls when steering lock to lock, then a thrust bearing is gone...

Soundguy

/ B6100 Loose steering #6  
When I checked out the loose steering on my B7100 I found that it also had no oil. So I adjusted the free play and topped off the oil. Now it leaks. So I bought two seals and a gasket. Thay are still sitting on my desk.

/ B6100 Loose steering #7  
FYI
mine had a hard sot and gear inside was broke about 300 to repair or 700 for new gearbox thatsy i converted it to power steering

if real loose check adjustment on it good luck

/ B6100 Loose steering
Thanks for the input, guys. Now I've got some ideas of what to look at.

You know, this is the kind of support that I wish I could have had about 20-25 years ago as a young man trying to keep cheap used cars running. This is SO COOL, drawing on all the experience from all over. Please, don't take it for granted that your replies and comments aren't useful.

Joe in Indiana

/ B6100 Loose steering #9  
Dude
that is one of the best things about the net
find people goin through the same things
like me i help people withcredit problems and debt collectors
i amover at
CreditWrench - Powered by vBulletin
alot

/ B6100 Loose steering #10  
Just like many others, I lost my steering on my B6100 today moving some snow. Thanks to this thread I knew what to look for.

Looks like both the thrust bearings are shot and I have some damage to the worm gear. I wanted to post a picture of the worm gear to get some opinions on whether it needs replaced or could be repaired?

Pictures 1 & 2- Steering shaft showing the damaged worm gear. Any chance it will be salvagable?

Picture 3- Bottom of steering post. I see a damaged oil seal (maybe part #09500-16287). Is that a sleave on top of it that comes out?

Oh yeah, my steering box was pretty darn dry as well. Thanks again to all.

Attachments

• b6100-steering-1.jpg
    b6100-steering-1.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 773
  • b6100-steering-2.jpg
    b6100-steering-2.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 682
  • b6100-steering-3.jpg
    b6100-steering-3.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 634