Is BX24 3-point hitch really a Cat 1?

/ Is BX24 3-point hitch really a Cat 1? #1  

Skyco

Elite Member
I know Kubota says it is a Cat 1 but is it really in all aspects, or is it partially a Cat 0?
I ask because I haven't taken my backhoe off yet to assemble the 3 point hitch and notice the Cat 1 top link sold at TSC is way longer than the one that came with the tractor...
I have some 3 point implements kept remotely and I don't want to drive 2 hours to find something doesn't fit!
TIA!

/ Is BX24 3-point hitch really a Cat 1? #2  
Yes like my BX23 it falls into the classification of a Cat 1 3ph but with that said, the classification doesn't cover the size or weight of the implement it can lift specifically, it indicates what size hole and pin the lift points have.

Category 1 specs,
For Tractors with 18 to 45 Horsepower
Top Link Pins are 3/4 inch in Diameter
Lift Arm Pins are 7/8 inch in Diameter

Not all Cat 1 3PH's are equal as demonstrated by this statment,
The distance from the tail of the PTO shaft to the lift arm ends is approximately 14 inches. The minimum spread between the lower lift arms will be about 26-27 inches, the maximum spread is normally out to 33 inches or more.

With all that said, those 26" rear wheels on a BX limit the size of the Cat 1 implements they can handle. So even though your BX24 does have a Cat 1 rated 3ph, theres a good possibility that it will not be able to accept and work your implements either do to it's limited lifting height and/or it's limited lift link spread.

/ Is BX24 3-point hitch really a Cat 1? #3  
DT, fan of the Tennessee Volunteers, alma mater of the great Peyton Manning, is absolutely correct.

There isn't much you can do about the lift capacity. As far as implements that are too wide, putting Pat's easy hitch extenders on the ends of your lift arms will increase the max width that the 3ph will accept; I'm not sure how much.

BTW,

There used to be a song about Peyton's pappy. Went like this:

The ball is on the fifty,
The down is third and ten,
He runs it down the sideline,
Yes Archie takes it in.

He plays for the Ole' Miss Rebels,
Archie Manning is his name,
The best G**D***** quarterback
to ever play the game.

Just a shame that he never got to be on a pro team that was even halfway decent.

/ Is BX24 3-point hitch really a Cat 1?
Thanks guys- the only implements I have are a small Howse Dirt Scoop and an Agri-Fab box blade which is pretty light. I was originally using these on a 3 point trailer I built and would raise and lower them with a 12v winch while towing with a Yamaha Rhino. Really just used for gravel driveway maintenance. Doubt I'll really have much use anymore for the dirt scoop now that I have a FEL:)

/ Is BX24 3-point hitch really a Cat 1? #5  
Go VOLS ! :D
re. Peytons pappy, once upon a time a future pro linebacker, a Volunteer with a propensity to parting out junk cars w/ a chainsaw which earned him a nick name well versed in Volunteer lore, once uttered the phrase Archie who? And in the subsequent game the underdog Reb's taught the whole nation who Archie was.......
Ole Archie and his lovely southern bell sure knew how to make quarterbacks :D

Just a shame that he never got to be on a pro team that was even halfway decent.
The AIN'TS. Fans wore paper bags to hide their identities on TV :D

/ Is BX24 3-point hitch really a Cat 1? #6  
The category size includes more than just the pin sizes. The distance between the lower pins as well as the distant from the bottom pins to the top pin are also part of category sizing. The BX as well as other sub compacts use the typical Cat. 1 pins but they don't have the Cat. 1 distances. That is why these small tractors are referred to as having limited cat.1 hitches. The Subs have more or less Cat 1 pins with Cat. 0 distances. So, no they are not true Cat 1.

/ Is BX24 3-point hitch really a Cat 1? #7  
3-Point Hitch Specifications
Hitches and Power Take Off Information from the Tractor Outlet
Tractor Terminology

So, no they are not true Cat 1.
So then they're untrue? :D Dang untrue tractor manufacturers......
previously posted,
Not all Cat 1 3PH's are equal as demonstrated by this statment,
For Cat 1, The distance from the tail of the PTO shaft to the lift arm ends is approximately 14 inches. The minimum spread between the lower lift arms will be about 26-27 inches, the maximum spread is normally out to 33 inches or more.
The BX as well as most of the other SCUT's that advertise as haveing CAT 1 3PH's all fall within these spec's.
They are at the minimum edge of the spec's but they are within the specs for a Cat 1 so they are infact Cat 1 3PH's.

My ole Ferguson TE20 had a Cat 1 3PH and even though it was at the maximum of the Cat 1 specs, there were Cat 1 rated implements that it couldn't work either.

/ Is BX24 3-point hitch really a Cat 1? #8  
Volfandt said:
the underdog Reb's taught the whole nation who Archie was.......
Ole Archie and his lovely southern bell sure knew how to make quarterbacks :D

I sat in Sanford Stadium once and watched while he (with a broken arm) ripped the Dawgs' secondary to pieces, not only with his passing arm but with those greased lightnin' feet of his as well.

When he was in high school, his alcoholic father got in the bathtub and blew his brains out. Archie is the one who wound up having to clean up all the mess after they took the body away. After all the hard stuff he went through, he turned out to be quite a man, in many more ways than one!

/ Is BX24 3-point hitch really a Cat 1? #9  
Volfandt said:
My ole Ferguson TE20 had a Cat 1 3PH and even though it was at the maximum of the Cat 1 specs, there were Cat 1 rated implements that it couldn't work either.

Then we will have to call that a limited Cat 1 3PH too.:D

/ Is BX24 3-point hitch really a Cat 1?
JerryG said:
The Subs have more or less Cat 1 pins with Cat. 0 distances. .

That explains why the Cat 1 top link I picked up at TSC was way longer than the one that came with the tractor.....