Grading Final Grading

/ Final Grading #11  
I've found that the smoothest final grading will be done with a scraper blade mounted on the rear of the tractor, i.e., on the 3 point hitch. Because lift arms can easily pivot up and down and with the slight play in the arms from side to side, the blade can float much more when backdragged than the bucket, and you get a smoother surface, without the heel or point of the bucket digging in and making a gouge in the surface you're trying to smooth.

What about the "float" mode of the front end loader and bucket? I've found a slower "float" response with the bucket, compared to the scraper blade, and with the bucket sticking "way" out in front of the tractor, any sideways shifting or dipping of the tractor is immediately transmitted and multiplied to the bucket edge or heel, making the surface actually rougher. Just my observation and opinion.
simonmeridew

/ Final Grading #12  
KeithInSpace said:
Jam the control lever forward all the way into the "float" detent. The stick will stay there. This allows the up/down control cylinders to de-pressurize and allow the bucket to better follow the land. In essence, you could pick up the front of the bucket and lift it over your head by hand in this setting (if you were Arnie). You will still be able to control bucket curl to fine-tune your earth cut.
Great explanation. One other thing....

it helps to have the bucket level and very near ground contact _before_ you "float". Otherwise the bucket free falls to the ground :eek:

Talon Dancer

/ Final Grading #13  
For really fine final grading you must use the cutting edge of the bucket and be going forward so the tractor tires are on even ground.:D :D

/ Final Grading
I was out there all day today trying to grade a spot on my property spreading a lousy eight yards of loom. I just can't seem to get it right. If your yard slopes downward and halfway down there is a bit of a gully but then the land comes up again, where would you dump your dirt to level it off? I figured I would start up high and drag down. If you do that, would your bucket be in the float position immediately, or would you focus on just dragging the dirt into the gully first keeping the bucket edge solid with no float? Filling the gully itself isn't much of a problem, but final grading from the top to the bottom I just can't seem to get very smooth...Do you grade from multiple directions (bottom to top, side to side, etc) as part of the grading process? What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

/ Final Grading #15  
Start high and work down. Always keep the area the tractor wheels are on even.:D

/ Final Grading #16  
Unless there is something weird going on with the terrain, you should only have to final grade in one direction.

/ Final Grading #17  
Madman,

You can save the float function till near the end of the project. First, get the new material moved into position as best you can by scooping, pushing, dragging, dumping, etc., but by using all of the FEL hydraulics. Personally, I would have dumped most of the material into the gulley since that is what would need the most material to level things out the way you wanted. But that's more for future reference, since what's done is done, so at this point, you can just work with the fill from where it now lays.

Once you've gotten things rough graded and close to where you ultimately want everything, then do your final floating backdrag with the heel of the bucket to clean things up a bit. Depending on how good you need the final grade, you might need to resort to the old fashioned (GASP!!) :eek: hand-raking method. :D

Don't get too frustrated. It'll take some time to learn how to do some of the things you use your tractor for, but that's half the fun of it. We were all rookies at one point, and honestly, any time I try something new with a machine, or use an implement I've never used before, I'm a rookie all over again. :cool: Just remember how much harder it would be with a wheelbarrow, shovel and rake.

/ Final Grading #18  
bandit67 said:
...Once you've gotten things rough graded and close to where you ultimately want everything, then do your final floating backdrag with the heel of the bucket to clean things up a bit. Depending on how good you need the final grade, you might need to resort to the old fashioned (GASP!!) :eek: hand-raking method. :D...
What he said!

I'm amazed at how much I've used the old hard rake and shovel since I got the tractor :rolleyes:

BTW have you noticed that every contruction site tractor/back-hoe seems to have "manual accessories"* not shown in the Kubota sales literature?

Talon Dancer

* "manual accessories" -- those guys out in the blazing sun with the shovels, picks, etc. cleaning up after the "heavy equipment operator" under the shade of the canopy (or in the A/C cab) :)

Last edited: