Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB, Past: Kubota BX1800

Default BX Hi/Lo shifter getting hard to shift

Hello all,

I've got a BX1800 that the Hi/Low gear shifter is getting very tempremental.

This just started happening the other day. I shut off the tractor while in gear...which I often do... and when I went to start up again I couldn't get it into nuetral so I could start the tractor. After a lot of wigling and jiggling and shaking the tractor I finaly got it and all seemed well again but it did it again yesterday. All the wiggling and shaking in the world wouldn't move it. I even gave the tractor a little nudge forward and back with another tractor...still no good.

Finaly I bypassed the saftey switch so I could start it up and after more jiggleing I got it to move but it still jams up even with the tractor running.

I poked around a bit and I think it may actualy be just be in the lever itself. I think the machanisim needs lubricating or may have some grass or other crap jamming it up but it was getting dark by then.

I just wanted to check if any other BX owners have have had a similar problem and if it was a simple fix or if this is a symptom of a larger problem.

Thanks

Tractor
    2004 Kubota BX23, 1966 WheelHorse 856

Default Re: BX Hi/Lo shifter getting hard to shift

Sounds like your linkages need a good cleaning and lub'ed.
    I do that before I went any deeper.
    Good luck
    BX23 w/60" MMM & thumb.
    1966 Wheelhorse 856, Gear drive.
    1966 Wheelhorse 876, HST drive.
    w/50"sickle mower, 36" RDM, snow/grader plow, Alternator welder.

Tractor
    BX24

My BX is new, so no, I have not had this range shifting problem, but since you mentioned it, I want to know about something else. I can start my BX24 with the transfer in any position. It will start without me being in the seat at all. The only time I need to be in the seat is when I have the PTO operating. So - this is not normal?

Marv

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Currently own a BX25

Quote Originally Posted by Volfandt
    Sounds like your linkages need a good cleaning and lub'ed...
    Volfandf is absolutely correct.

Spraying the linkage with WD40 is a good start... its effect may sometimes seem miraculous.
    Currently own a BX25 - Once had a BX24... a BX23... a BX22... and a B7100HSD... All great workhorses!

Tractor
    Kubota BX24

Marv,

I believe this is normal. It seems that the safety switch is now tied to the treddle and its position. You can't start the tractor with your foot pressing it forward (or reverse, I assume). This is my guess, anyway. My BX24 behaves the same way.
    Ray
    BX24

Tractor
    Kubota B7510

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealBuzz
    Hello all,

I've got a BX1800 that the Hi/Low gear shifter is getting very tempremental.

This just started happening the other day. I shut off the tractor while in gear...which I often do... and when I went to start up again I couldn't get it into nuetral so I could start the tractor. After a lot of wigling and jiggling and shaking the tractor I finaly got it and all seemed well again but it did it again yesterday. All the wiggling and shaking in the world wouldn't move it. I even gave the tractor a little nudge forward and back with another tractor...still no good.

Finaly I bypassed the saftey switch so I could start it up and after more jiggleing I got it to move but it still jams up even with the tractor running.

I poked around a bit and I think it may actualy be just be in the lever itself. I think the machanisim needs lubricating or may have some grass or other crap jamming it up but it was getting dark by then.

I just wanted to check if any other BX owners have have had a similar problem and if it was a simple fix or if this is a symptom of a larger problem.

Thanks
    I don't have a BX but I do have a B with a high low shifter and my dealer told me to just "Feather" the forward reverse pedal a little bit while putting a little pressure on the High/Low lever. Works great for me.

He really warned me about forcing that lever because it costs big bucks to repair the damage done when it is forced. Mostly labor$$.

Good luck!! BD

Tractor
    bx-23 ,

Quote Originally Posted by bigdad
    I don't have a BX but I do have a B with a high low shifter and my dealer told me to just "Feather" the forward reverse pedal a little bit while putting a little pressure on the High/Low lever. Works great for me.

He really warned me about forcing that lever because it costs big bucks to repair the damage done when it is forced. Mostly labor$$.

Good luck!! BD
    EXACTLY.My 23 works like that.If the lever goes hard simply touch the pedal[this moves the linkage slightly]and it will pop right in.
    ALAN
    KUBOTA BX-23,Block heater, AG TIRES[rears filled],MECHANICAL THUMB,SALSCO CHIPPER,WOODS LRC60 LANDSCAPE RAKE WITH GAUGE WHEELS,,HOMEMADE BUCKET FORKS,QUICK HITCH FOR 3 POINT HITCH,HOMEMADE FRONT BUCKET MOUNTED QUICK HITCH[for 3 point implements], FARM FORCE 6 FT 3 POINT BLADE,MARKHAM TOOTHBAR,HOMEMADE TRAILER HITCH FOR BACKHOE, HOMEMADE HEATED STEEL AND FIBERGLASS CAB,54 INCH PRONOVOST PUMA 3 POINT SNOW BLOWER,WITH HYDRAULIC CHUTE CONTROL,REAR TIRE CHAINS,UPGRADED 40 AMP ALTERNATOR,4-55W LIGHTS

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX24

My BX24 user manual talks about this - they advise tapping the forward or reverse HST pedal to make the gears move a bit - then shifting hi/lo is easy. I do this all the time whenever the lever is hard to move.
    Happiness is a clean zerk!

Bx24 with mower, Kubota rotary tiller, Greenline PHD w/9"/12" auger, Walco 48" Rotory Cutter, Bro-Tek skid plates and thumb.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Montana 4940C

my bx6200 had this problem when I got it. A friend of mine said to take and shift the lever between high and low halfway. He had me then put a dob of grease on the lever and then move it back into position. He then had me move it back and forth a couple of times. I did that and have not had a problem since. Evidently the ball was rusted in place and had to be lubricated. Mine did exactly what you describe. I had to really work hard to get it to move when I first got it. After the grease no more problems

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB, Past: Kubota BX1800

Hello again,

Just and update on my shifter problem. All is well again. I blew out all the crap with an air compressor and lubed it up and its smooth as silk now.

The binding was occurring at the cam that contacts the neutral switch and gives the shifter lever it's "clicking positions"

Thanks to all.