Oil & Fuel Kubota B7800 front axle oil

/ Kubota B7800 front axle oil #1  

Jimsntcrz

Tractor
Kubota B7800
My dealer told me to use the 80-90 weight but I was about a half quart short when I finished...I used some UDT I have from my tranny oil change. Is it OK to mix 80-90 weight with UDT? I noticed it's a little foamy but nice and sticky..Seems to mix together very well..Seems to be a very good lubricant..But then..What do I know.

This is in my front axle not my tranny.

Any comments on this?

/ Kubota B7800 front axle oil #3  
Jimsntcrz said:
...Is it OK to mix 80-90 weight with UDT? I noticed it's a little foamy but nice and sticky...This is in my front axle not my tranny.
In your front axle, yes. Kindly ignore anyone that attempts to scare you otherwise, especially without anything to substantiate it. Fundamentally they're both dino oil, not oil & water. Nothing gained by doing it, but nothing lost either.
For the same reason you won't find any technical bulletin that says you must completely purge & flush your front axle when switching from one to the other.

/ Kubota B7800 front axle oil #4  
I would agree that it won't hurt a thing. How could it hurt?

/ Kubota B7800 front axle oil #5  
As a dealer I would tell you not to worry about it. You did lower the gear oil viscosity a bit to maybe a 60 but it is not a problem.
There are oils that don't mix well but not as many as in years past but you are ok till you need to change again and you probably have the best of a couple of applications in your axle.

/ Kubota B7800 front axle oil
Thanx alot for the input....Book says 4.7 quarts.....I had 4 quarts of 80-90 weight. so I only used the.7 to finish it off with UDT. I think next time I'll just use UDT...Get a 5 gallon bucket and just do the whole tractor...Gee why didn't I think of that in the first place...

Good to go for another round of jobs...OK so $65.00 per hr @300 hrs=$19,500.00...Think I might be able to afford a 5 gal bucket of UDT by then.
Might even raise the rates to $75..Everyone here is gettin $85 but I wanna stay busy.

So far this little tractor has held to gether pretty darn good...Tore down a few old shacks..Helping people reclaim their property from overgrowth. Mowing, mowing and more mowing. Got a level off a small pad on Monday. Gonna give it a shot anyway. Are we having fun yet?

Jim

/ Kubota B7800 front axle oil #7  
Being as you live in a nice warm climate, I would just use the gear oil from now on in your front axle (I do). It's Kubota-approved for it, perfectly acceptable, and cheaper than UDT.

/ Kubota B7800 front axle oil #8  
Jimsntcrz said:
My dealer told me to use the 80-90 weight but I was about a half quart short when I finished...I used some UDT I have from my tranny oil change. Is it OK to mix 80-90 weight with UDT? I noticed it's a little foamy but nice and sticky..Seems to mix together very well..Seems to be a very good lubricant..But then..What do I know.

This is in my front axle not my tranny.

Any comments on this?

I went through the same questions myself. I was told by Kubota and by my dealer not too mix the two.

I eneded up using a high-end synthetic 65W140 gear oil. It has a wide application ..... up here, we go from +30 celcius to -30 celcius ... quite a temperature range. To compare, as hot as Florida in the summer and as cold as northern Vermont in the winter.

It is expensive stuff but considering the frequency of change and capacity, it is well worth it.

Initially, I used a very cheap 80 gear oil, filled it to capacity, operated the tractor for a few hours putting it to work, than while hot, emptied it very well. Than refilled with the high-end stuff. It was still very dirty when I emptied it .... black metal fillings were still visible.

In such an application, the breakdown of the lubricant is less of an issue BUT more so the metal fillings that grind away at the inner parts.

Hope this helps?

Eric