Side Work

/ Side Work #1  

treekatie

I just purchased a new L3400 HST w/FEL, bh75, bush hog and box blade. I bought it for work around my farm and the bh for digging some footings that my stepson needs from time to time.

My question is how many of you do side work for extra $ with your tractors? I am thinking about doing this and would like some tips from those who have been there. Specifically things like how you get word out that you are available, what kind of jobs you do, how busy do you get, how do you charge (hour/job) and how much? There is a lot of new construction within 20 miles of my home and wonder if some of these contractors would be interested as well. I forgot to mention I also have a 20' dovetail trailer to haul it all on.

Thanks for any suggestions!

/ Side Work #2  
treekatie said:
I just purchased a new L3400 HST w/FEL, bh75, bush hog and box blade. I bought it for work around my farm and the bh for digging some footings that my stepson needs from time to time.

My question is how many of you do side work for extra $ with your tractors? I am thinking about doing this and would like some tips from those who have been there. Specifically things like how you get word out that you are available, what kind of jobs you do, how busy do you get, how do you charge (hour/job) and how much? There is a lot of new construction within 20 miles of my home and wonder if some of these contractors would be interested as well. I forgot to mention I also have a 20' dovetail trailer to haul it all on.

Thanks for any suggestions!
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/owning-operating/101275-need-make-some-money-my.html

/ Side Work #3  
treekatie - I have done some side work with my Kubota for years. Its fun, and you can make some decent money in the process. Mostly I do final grading and lawn installations. Usually I charge an hourly rate. I get $25/hr for my labor and $40/hr for the tractor. If the tractor and I are "running" simultaneously its $65/hr. If the key is "off" on the tractor I'm billing $25/hr. I just check the hour meter on the tractor in the morning and at the end of the day to know how many hours to bill at the $65/hr rate. I usually markup rental equipment and supplies costs 5-10% depending on location, travel, time to acquire etc. I stay local, never traveled more than 20 miles for work. Good luck on your endeavor and be sure you get insurance. A friend of mine stuck a 2x6 through a brand new above ground pool with his tractor while doing some final grading. He didn't have insurance. He replaced the pool to the tune of $3200 and repaired the old one and installed it at his house. Costly mistake. He had insurance the next day.