Anyone put larger rams on their bx24 FEL arm?

/ Anyone put larger rams on their bx24 FEL arm? #21  
It would probably work, you would probably get rear wheel lift if you actually USED the increased capacity. Never mind about bending and/or breaking stuff, "Stoppies" are for stunt motorcycles ONLY.

Before loading my rear tires I did try to lift too much one time, then the back end crabbed over a couple of feet. Hmmm, maybe more lift than I should be using ?
I don't know how it is on BX24, but on my tractor there are separate relief valves for the lift and curl - I have assumed that they are set for the particular loader and tractor combination. I think you would be exposing yourself to some unreasonable risks, nevermind warranty invalidation issues (-:

BTW, if you get the next 100 lbs - who's to say you won't want/need another 100 after that ?

/ Anyone put larger rams on their bx24 FEL arm?
Bernie-

My next post topic was going to be sway bars .... you are on the right track about the speed, seems like I am always loose coming out of turn one!

Reg-

Your right about always wanting more. My true goal is to get the power to the point where similar to the BH or other machines I mentioned before, I have more power than weight. My "abilities" to work with a BH would be seriously curtailed if I were not able to "move around" the back end of the tractor by lifting it off the ground with the bucket. While not nearly as critical with the FEL, I can think of times it would have helped.

Funny thing about this whole discussion ... I really don't want a larger tractor. The size of the bx24 is perfect for my applications. But having been used to other machines, I just want a little more from the FEL

/ Anyone put larger rams on their bx24 FEL arm? #23  
PAexcavator said:
I did this on my L3010, used cylinders 1/4" larger diameter, worked out to around 10% - 15% boost on mine. Just calculate % difference in diameter of original and projected cylinders and use your lifting capacity to see what that % increase will give you.

PA - I sent you a PM Question on the cylinders .

jb

/ Anyone put larger rams on their bx24 FEL arm? #24  
bx24 said:
My next post topic was going to be sway bars .... you are on the right track about the speed, seems like I am always loose coming out of turn one!

(Still looking for a Kubota orange spoiler for my box blade)

/ Anyone put larger rams on their bx24 FEL arm? #25  
Please school me on how with my post you figured that I know little about Hydraulics? Maybe I can learn something today.

Cheers,

rdsaustintx said:
MacTractor don't know much about hydraulics.

I just imagine you picking yourazzend off the ground a LOT if you think you need more lifting power on a BX

RDnT

/ Anyone put larger rams on their bx24 FEL arm? #26  
MacTractor said:
It would seem to me, unless you change out the pressure relief valve, making your rams larger will do nothing for you.

The actuator force is proportional to the cross-section of the ram. He would get more force with the same system pressure.

MacTractor said:
I would suspect to make the FEL lift heavier objecks would require a re-work of the hydraulics.

Nope. It would definitely lift more with larger cylinders; His FEL would operate a little slower, and the whole debate here is basically whether it's worth it.

Sorry not trying to school anybody, but this stuff is pretty basic. ;)

/ Anyone put larger rams on their bx24 FEL arm? #27  
Thank you for the info. I'm new here and I am pretty technical with most items, but it appears I didn't have the basics of pressure vs cylinder size ironed out.

Now I know. I appreciate your statement as it enabled me expand my knowledge about hydraulics as I have found a ton of interesting info on the subject on the Web.

Much appreciated.:)

rdsaustintx said:
The actuator force is proportional to the cross-section of the ram. He would get more force with the same system pressure.

Nope. It would definitely lift more with larger cylinders; His FEL would operate a little slower, and the whole debate here is basically whether it's worth it.

Sorry not trying to school anybody, but this stuff is pretty basic. ;)

/ Anyone put larger rams on their bx24 FEL arm? #28  
Mactractor,

This is a basic overview of hydraulic systems. It's toned down for general understanding - not meant to be condescending !!

The hydraulic pump provides the power to move elements in the system. Higher pressure is more power available. The cylinder has a bore size. That is the ID of the metal tube. The surface area of the cylinder end in square inches is multiplied by the pressure provided by the pump to get the pounds of force exerted by the cylinder.

Two cases: A 1" bore cylinder and a 1.5" bore cylinder. System pressure at 2500 psi (pounds per in2)

1" bore has 0.5" radius. Area is Pi*r*r or 3.14159*0.5*0.5 or 0.7854 in square.

Force is then 0.7854 * 2500 = 1963 pounds of force pushing the rod.

The 1.5" bore has 0.75" radius. Area is 3.14159* 0.75*0.75 = 1.764 in2

Force is then 1.764 * 2500 = 4417 pounds of force pushing the rod.

The drawback is that the volume of the cylinder has also increased, so the pump has to operate longer to fill it. That means slower lift - drop and curl - dump times.

/ Anyone put larger rams on their bx24 FEL arm? #29  
I too was somewhat unhappy with the loader capacity on my BX. My first attempt nearly solved the problem. The second attempt seems to have done the trick.

Attachments

• first_attempt.jpg
    first_attempt.jpg
    953.1 KB · Views: 301
  • second_attempt.JPG
    second_attempt.JPG
    803 KB · Views: 293
   / Anyone put larger rams on their bx24 FEL arm? #30  
Nice solution! And I thought new rams were expensive....

jb