BX2230 DriveShaft repair

/ BX2230 DriveShaft repair #1  

McCool

Tractor
BX2230
I ran over a buried piece of rebar the other day and it snapped up into the driveshaft ripping off the rear boot. It also sheared all the fan blades off the little white fan in the back. How hard is it to replace these items on a BX2230?

Also, I did not realize I did any damage when it happened and I put about 6-7 hours on the tractor after I did it. I just did the 50 hour maintenance and the old tranny fluid didn't seem burnt. Is there any long term damage I might have done by running with the fan blades broken off?

Thanks in advance!
Brian

/ BX2230 DriveShaft repair #2  
You can replace the HST fan, but it is a PitA piece of surgery. Be glad you don't have a newer model. Do a search and you'll find lots of posts about it.

I would probably replace my SUDT after running 8 hours without the fan, but I am slightly crazy.

Russell in Texas

/ BX2230 DriveShaft repair #3  
Sorry to hear that, I have shaved a few fans in the time I have had my bx2200. I am saving for a Bro-Tek shield.
Replacing the fan isn't too bad on the 2200, I don't know about yours. I keep a spare on hand because they are cheap.
As for the fluid change, it's cheap insurance. I had to buy an HST, and it wasn't pretty. It wasn't from the fan being out, but I am sure it didn't help things any.

/ BX2230 DriveShaft repair #4  
Within the last couple yrs a fellow posted his step by step intructions on R&R'ing that fan on his BX23. Sorry don't recall his moniker, do a search on HST fan or HST fan BX23 etc., and it should be there.

It's not easy but it's also not major surgury either. Like most things, the 1st time is a beach :D

/ BX2230 DriveShaft repair
Thanks for the info provided! I am definately going to get a skidplate for the tractor. I also just found a service manual just to make sure I do this right. After taking a look above and under, I'm thinking that it might be easiest to remove the floorpan and go in from above. Service manual will probably show my thinking isn't my strong point!

I did find a website that has Kubota parts online: Messick Equipment and Outdoor Power - New Holland - Kubota - Case IH - Parts, Sales & Service

With the online parts manual someone else posted, I was able to order a new joint cover and HST fan. Amazing that $7 in parts will keep the HST alive.

I'll keep the forum posted with pics and details if there is interest!

Now to go hunt down a skidplate.....

/ BX2230 DriveShaft repair #7  
That's an interesting way to get a picture!!!:eek:

/ BX2230 DriveShaft repair
TobyH said:
That's an interesting way to get a picture!!!:eek:

sideways.jpg

That can't be good for the tractor!

Thanks for the ebay link!

/ BX2230 DriveShaft repair #9  
   / BX2230 DriveShaft repair #10  
I hope that position was intentional, and not a moment of "advanced slope analysis", formerly known as gravity gone wild!

:D