BX24 - re-trenching

/ BX24 - re-trenching #1  

richardbro

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24
I've been digging a couple of trenches with Mighty-Mite (my bx24) and now these trenches are close to meeting. Unfortunately, one of the trenchs is not deep enough and I need to dig out another foot or so over about 30 feet. The trench is as wide as the BX BH bucket - is it safe to stradle this trench with the BX (back up over it and hopefully not put a wheel in)? Is this something commonly done (amongst newbies)?

/ BX24 - re-trenching #2  
If the trench is the same width I would just do it. Soil compaction might be an issue if it's been an open trench for awhile, otherwise just use common sense and be careful.

/ BX24 - re-trenching #3  
Keep your stabilizers and loader bucket low when backing over the trench.
That way if you do slip a wheel in, you will not tip the tractor.

Vic

/ BX24 - re-trenching
vic4news said:
Keep your stabilizers and loader bucket low when backing over the trench.
That way if you do slip a wheel in, you will not tip the tractor.

Vic

Yes, good idea - thanks!

/ BX24 - re-trenching #5  
Digging back over the ditch is something that is done occasionally but may not be a good idea for a "Newbie". The most likely problem is not backing over the ditch but progressing forward as you get the ditch re-dug. Unless you have pretty good control you may end up with a front wheel in the ditch. This is far more trouble for a novice operator than dropping in a rear wheel. Normally results in screwing up the whole ditch. Save yourself some time and just backfill the ditch and re-dig. If it's only 30 feet it won't take but a few minutes. Backing over a ditch can severely weaken the walls of the ditch. DON"T DO IT if it's going to be more than 4 feet deep and you have to get in the ditch after it's dug.

Safety is always a serious topic of conversation on this site. Trench cave-ins are probably responsible for as many deaths and injuries as as tractor rollovers but I have never seen them mentioned here. A trench 5 feet deep can cave in and crush you to death! You usually won't suffocate. The weight of the dirt can crush you instantly. It happens so quickly there's no chance to react. OSHA requirements for trench safety are quite extensive and should be! Trenches 5 ft and deeper may be required to be shored, boxed, jacked, or sides sloped at 45 degree angle. There are Regs for placement of the spoil pile, limits for how close a machine can get to the ditch... There are similar requirements for unsupported, excavated banks like basement and retaining wall excavations. I personally know of 5 men killed in trench cave-ins. One was 35 years old, 6 ft 5 inches tall, crushed in a 5 1/2 ft ditch. Three at one time in a 10 ft deep 6ft x 6ft manhole excavation. The oldest of the three was 22.

/ BX24 - re-trenching #6  
richardbro

I suggest you drive over trench sliding front bucket as wheels go air borne.

Then take the hoe and swing the back end over the trench.

Take your time I found its harder to move forward and keep wheels centered so if you can work toward the rear.

tommu56

/ BX24 - re-trenching
Well, I backed in about 1 or 2 feet, getting off and examiniing the back wheel clearances a couple of times. Not good. Then my pucker-alarm went off and I said, "Naw, not worth it".

So I got out the good-old pick and shovel and went at it (the ditch at that point was just 2-3 feet) over 10 feet of packed clay for about 3/4 hour and then my heart-attack alarm went off and I said, "Naw, not worth it".

I went off and spread some earth (clay again) from the stables foundation excavation while I thought about it...

My next plan is to lay down a double layer of 5/8th plywood sheathing lengthwise and use that as shoring up/support for the wheels. I figure 3 lengths (leapfrogged if needed) will get me to where I want to start digging and the plywood will offer enough support as to not cave in the trench walls or let the wheels slide into the ditch. The ply can then be reused as sheathing for the stables and/or implement shed.

Another trip to the hardware/wood store...

/ BX24 - re-trenching #8  
I was just gonna suggest laying out some lengths of 2x12 lumber as reinforcement but you came up with a similar idea:D

/ BX24 - re-trenching #9  
Just fill the ditch back up and re-dig (With the backhoe not a shovel). No sweat, no danger of falling in or getting stuck.