Flood protection completed

/ Flood protection completed #1  

Edstir

I finally dug my trench to the river. My 35TLB dug a 5.5 ft deep x150ft long trench with the 12" bucket. I tied a 4" line into my sumpump pit and ran it down to the river bank so even if the power goes out it should gravity drain. Almost forgot the gravity check valve to keep the cold air out in the winter. I also ran a 4" sock covered perferated line to pick up the ground water. After filling half the hole I ran a 4" line for my gutters. The water table can get pretty high in the wet season and I recently had 10" of water in my crawl space because we lost power for 2 days because of storms. I have much respect for those that operate equipment for a living. That was the second big job performed by my 35TLB and the first with the backhoe. I was amazed at the power of the Kubota. After 3 feet deep its all rocks some twice the size of a basketball. They were easy prey for the bucket. I purchased my 2001 unit 2 years ago and feared a breakdown halfway through the job but the old work horse (1054 hr) completed the job without a problem. That was quite a feat for about 15 gallons of diesel. Previous posted articals about trenching were my inspiration. Thanks for educating a amateur.

/ Flood protection completed #2  
Welcome to TBN. Any pics? What part of the country are you in, and which river? What is your next project going to be? Sounds like you and the tractor got a good workout.

/ Flood protection completed #3  
Ed-

Where is the gravity check valve? 150' of pipe buried 5' deep should be more than enough to "warm" and cold air that goes up the pipe.

Paul

/ Flood protection completed
I put the check near the exit on the river bank. Also I wanted to keep the critters out.
I'm on the Kankakee River in Northern Illinois,town of Wilmington.

/ Flood protection completed #5  
Good deal ... I wouldn't think you would have had any problems with the freezing, but the critters I can believe!

I finally got 2 pictures to down load. This vista sucks. Hope they open OK.

Attachments

• drain install 003[0].jpg
    drain install 003[0].jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 212
  • drain install 045.jpg
    drain install 045.jpg
    409.3 KB · Views: 211
Better pictures. Had to zip all the pictures.
The next task is to repair the land. They installed my septic tank high to avoid a electric pump if it was lower. They have a mound of dirt to insulate for winter. I want to dig it up and cover it with 2" of foam about 2 feet down and level the ground to the surrounding level. The 2" of insulation has to equal a large depth of earth. Anyone have thoughts on this project?