Mowing B3030 - Mowing Observations

/ B3030 - Mowing Observations #1  

AMR

Gold Member
Tractor
B3030
I finally had a chance to get some seat time on my new B3030 this weekend. My most pressing task was mowing the lawn, we have about 2 acres of lawn with slopes from 0 to about 18 percent.

I set the mower to 4", that is where I thought I was cutting with my BX23. I took a tape measure to the blade and it was exactly 4", my grass was about 4.5 to 5" tall. The mower was easy to adjust, I did need a socket for the right anti-scalp, I was surprised by this, but then I will only adjust the cutting height once every probably.

Since I have only 1.6 hours on the tractor I only ran the tractor up to about 1,800 RPM and tried to vary it down to about 1,400 RPM for break-in.

The mowing results were good. I think that the BX23 definately gave a slightly better mow but I still think that this machine did great. I think that I was really not cutting at 4" with my BX23, when I set the dial to 4" I really think it was 3.5 or so. So the fact that the grass is longer the tracking from the wheels on the deck and from the loaded turfs is probably a little more pronounced. But after 24 hours there was no difference in appearance. The cut looks great, but I think I am going to lower it to 3.5" and it will look as good as the BX23.

My B3030 is immensely more stable on the slopes, I can not express how much more comfortable I feel on the cross slopes. The front left wheel on my BX23 always used to leave the ground on one or two passes. I cut across the slopes this weekend because this is how it worked out, I cut 90 degrees to the old cut everytime. I used to leave the FEL on the BX23 when I mowed, not on the B3030, I have enough weight so getting into tight spots was no problem, a full bagger may make a difference when I get it on. I feared that loaded tires would have hurt the lawn but it didn't, I bet that spring may be more of an issue though. I did turn too tight a couple times and left a little rut with the front tire, I can't make the same aggressive turns I did with my 23, I need to be a little more gentle.

Also, I NEVER used 4wd once this weekend, my BX23 was in 4wd 100 percent of the time when I mowed previoulsy as I would lose traction and slide down my front hill.

I can't wait to run the RPM's up all the way and I can't wait for my bagger. Overall I would give my B3030 a solid 9 out of 10 mowing.

I had a pang of regret this weekend, I always bagged with my BX23, I mowed with my B3030 and no bagger this weekend and did not feel that grass clippings where going to be an issue on the lawn, the 72" deck would have been quicker to mow with, but the bagger will be nice for the leaves. Always a compromise somewhere.

/ B3030 - Mowing Observations #2  
When you bring the 3030's deck up to a higher speed it should improve the mowing quality.

/ B3030 - Mowing Observations #3  
AMR:

I have to agree with all of your observations. I have about 18 hours on my 3030 now and I must say WOW what a machine. My 2230 was in 4x4 100% of the time, and now I find my self rarely using it. As Art says, the cut will improve with the higher rpm's.

Best of luck! and Enjoy!
Swmpbgy1

/ B3030 - Mowing Observations
swmpbgy1:

What are you doing for break-in? At 18 hrs are you near WOT?

Thanks for the thoughts,

Alan

/ B3030 - Mowing Observations #5  
AMR said:
swmpbgy1:

What are you doing for break-in? At 18 hrs are you near WOT?

Thanks for the thoughts,

Alan

AMR:

No......I've never had it above the recommended RPM's for mowing (540 marking on the tach) for more than 45 minutes to an hour. I've been breaking my mowing up into smaller sections so that the RPM's aren't up for that long. Then I vary the RPM's for other tasks...keeping it low for puttering around.

Hope this helps.....

/ B3030 - Mowing Observations #6  
AMR said:
I had a pang of regret this weekend, I always bagged with my BX23, I mowed with my B3030 and no bagger this weekend and did not feel that grass clippings where going to be an issue on the lawn, the 72" deck would have been quicker to mow with, but the bagger will be nice for the leaves. Always a compromise somewhere.

Order yourself a set of Gator blades:

Gator Blades - Gator Lawn Mower Blades - Gator Lawn Mower Blade - Mulching Blades - Mulch Blades

The high rise helps immensely with mulching the clippings. I have them on my B7800, and for the most part I do not need a bagger, oh yeah, I operate the PTO at 2300 rpm when cutting the lawn.

When you do get your bagger I am curious as to how easy it is to mount and dismount from the 3 pt hitch as well as the noise level of the system. I'll stay tuned to hear what you have to say. :)

/ B3030 - Mowing Observations
bialecki:

Good idea on the gator blades. Do they fit straight away or do you need to make modifications, etc. to the blades or mower deck spindles?

I don't know if you saw my other post, but with the tractor came a "bagger adaptor plate kit". It consists of a pretty crazy looking fabrication that bolts to two bolts on the transmission housing, immediately below the PTO, and to the drawbar. From the drawings it looks like the bagger sits right on/in this adaptor plate, looks pretty slick. I will let you know in about 4 months!

Alan

/ B3030 - Mowing Observations #8  
bialecki said:
Order yourself a set of Gator blades:

Gator Blades - Gator Lawn Mower Blades - Gator Lawn Mower Blade - Mulching Blades - Mulch Blades

The high rise helps immensely with mulching the clippings. I have them on my B7800, and for the most part I do not need a bagger, oh yeah, I operate the PTO at 2300 rpm when cutting the lawn.

When you do get your bagger I am curious as to how easy it is to mount and dismount from the 3 pt hitch as well as the noise level of the system. I'll stay tuned to hear what you have to say. :)

I would love to get a set of Hi lift blades for the 72" mower deck of the B3030 as well. As of right now unless I do not know how to read they do not exist for our application other than the factory blades.
Jeff