BX23 seems slow and weak

/ BX23 seems slow and weak #1  

Tractor_Jim_CT

Silver Member
Tractor
BX23
My BX23 seems to work in slow motion when using the backhoe and the FEL doesn't seem as strong.

I checked the hydro fluid and the level was perfect. The oil was changed during a few months ago during a full service check at my Kubota dealer.

One day this summer I was digging holes for a deck during 90 degree weather and after a couple hours of work I thought the machine was not going to make it when the back hoe was moving so slow.

I have about 150 hours and when I look back from when I first bought the BX23 new, the backhoe use to move very fast.

Any thoughts

/ BX23 seems slow and weak #2  
Are you using SUDT?

/ BX23 seems slow and weak
Hi Ken - I haven't been at TractorbyNet in a long time - see your still here - good timing.

I had the fluids changed and nort sure what I have for hydro fluid. I would say UDT

/ BX23 seems slow and weak #4  
You need to put a pressure guage on it and check your system pressure. Mine as low and had the same symptoms.

ron

/ BX23 seems slow and weak #6  
Hi Jim,
I hope you're enjoying the dry weather we're having here, I hope it rains soon. Being a fellow BX23 owner, I am very interested in any problems and solutions dealing with that tractor, so please post what the fix was when it's solved. I remember reading about using UDT in the BX23 affecting operations when it was hot, but I can't find any info about it now. I'm aproaching 300 hrs and except for having to weld the air filter bracket, there have been no problems. Have you installed a block heater yet? It sure helps on those very cold snow plowing days.

Ken

/ BX23 seems slow and weak #7  
Make sure your 3pt hitch control lever is returning to neutral.
Ditto.....

/ BX23 seems slow and weak
Thank-you everyone. I have never used the 3pt hitch control lever as I have never used the 3pt option. Is this a lever I might have moved getting on an off the tractor? What happens and what would I look for beyond the lever position - example would something be spinning or heard? I've only used the BH and FEL so sorry in experience.

Never did the pressure guage check and not sure how to do it and what to look for. It was in the Kubota shop and I haven't worked it that hard.

Ron - what did you do when you found your pressure was to correct the pressure?

Hi Ken - no solution yet as you can see. Will check the lever. Any other thoughts out there would be great.

/ BX23 seems slow and weak #9  
I have never used the 3pt hitch control lever as I have never used the 3pt option. Is this a lever I might have moved getting on an off the tractor? What happens and what would I look for beyond the lever position - example would something be spinning or heard?
The 3PH lever is on the right side and needs to be in the middle position.
It is very easy to accidentally move it when trying to shifting between Hi and Lo as they are side by side.

In most all tractor hydrauic systems, all of the hydraulic implement and tractor controls are in "series" with one another. Meaning fluid passes through all controls all the time. The valves are designed to permit full flow through them when they are in "neutral" so as to not effect the next implement/control inline. If one valve is partially actuated it will restrict flow through it meaning less pressure gets to the next implement.
On a BX, the most common reason why an FEL or BH or even the steering gets very slow & sluggish is because the 3PH is partially actuated which restricts flow throughout the entire hydraulic system.

Normally you'll hear a squealing sound as the fluid pressure is trying to get past the partially actuated 3PH valve.

There is an adjustment on the 3PH rod that forces the 3PH lever back to neutral once the lift reaches full up/down and yours may be out of adjustment.
You can simply manually return the 3PH lever to neutral to see if this is your problem.

/ BX23 seems slow and weak #10  
Tractor_Jim_CT

I had the same issue a couple of times.
I made a Gage with QD's and plugged it in to one of the loader lines and pushed stick till cylinder was at the end of stroke and red the Gage and it was in spec.
It hasn't done it since.
I priced the test fixture for hydraulic pump system test and it was out of sight!
Hence my Rube Goldberg test I could see were reliefe valve tripped off.

tom