BX 22 Hood latch

/ BX 22 Hood latch #1  

Tdog

Platinum Member
Tractor
BX22
The hood on my BX-22 keeps popping up. The least little bump or jolt will cause it to come loose. This can happen several times an hour - - finally today while I was knocking some clay off an oak rootball, I just left it up. That can't be good.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there an adjustment? Can that spring-loaded pin that catches the hood be made to extend further?

Thanks,

Jack

/ BX 22 Hood latch #2  
If the BX22 is like my BX24, make sure the release lever above the hood that you push to the side to open the hood is pushed all the way closed. Mine collects in the lube and keeps the lever from fully closing on its own.

/ BX 22 Hood latch #3  
I think the BX24 is a little different, but on my BX23, which has the same hood, I make sure the latch is fully seated by pulling UP on the release lever on the dash.

Been meaning to get in there and clean and lube that thing...

/ BX 22 Hood latch #4  
My BX23 has the same hood latch, it was changed on the latest model BX's.

What has probably happened is the catch on the hood is bent out just enough to not make full contact with the release rod. (there isn't much contact area anyway)
You may try to bend it in a hair or two towards the dash to see if it catches better.
It could also be the "V" shaped valley that the rod seats in has either worn or spread alittle over usage. You could also try to squeeze it together aliittle if step one doesn't work.

That hood latch wasn't the best design that Kubota could have come with....

I get to where I hold the lever "up" when I press the hood down inorder to get a good seating and so far it's worked....

/ BX 22 Hood latch
"I get to where I hold the lever "up" when I press the hood down inorder to get a good seating"

I had been doing exactly the same thing for the past several months, but even that stopped working lately. Today, I tried the ever-elegant solution of running a couple of bungee cords, end to end, over the hood & attached to the frame below. That kept the hood down, of course. It also had the unexpected benefit of stopping that awful rattle that the hood makes whenever the engine is started or killed.

I had not thought about trying to bend the catch on the hood back a little, but I'll give it a go. Even if that does work, I think I'll continue to use the bungee cords - - it's great to shut the machine down without it sounding as if it is falling apart.

Jack