Partial Maintenance

/ Partial Maintenance #1  

Adam23

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B7500
I went up to my local Kubota dealership yesterday to purchase oil, hydraulic, and air filters so that I can change them all on my B7500 as I am not sure that this was done prior to me purchasing it. My dealer told me that if the ones on the tractor are all grey then they were not changed at 50 hours. So when I got home that was the first thing that I looked at - and wouldn't you know it they were all grey!!! The tractor now has 97 hours on it and I am very upset that the maintenance apparently was not performed like it should have been. I checked all of the fluids when I first got the tractor and everything was at proper level and all fluids looked very clean and fresh. So this weekend I plan on changing the engine oil, and filter. Can I use 15W40 instead of the recommended 10W30? I have a 16 gallon barrel full of it and would like to utilize that instead of buying other oil. I also plan on changing out the hydraulic filters and air filter. My question is - can i change the hydro filter and pull the screen without draining all the hydro fluid? The fluid looks brand new - very clean. What do you think?

/ Partial Maintenance #2  
Go ahead and change the HST fluid too. Shoulda been done at 50hrs. It's not to replace burned oil, it's just to get all the suspended junk out from break-in.

15-40 is fine (unless the machine will be a snowblower).

The air filters last a long time if you just knock the dust off.

Russell in Texas

/ Partial Maintenance #3  
I changed the hydro oil in my BX a couple days ago it had 325 hours on it. It looked clean as new, but the oil inside the filter looked like metalic paint. You can't tell by lookin.

/ Partial Maintenance
Podunkadunk - I read your post - I gotta tell you I would be HOT!!! My case is a little different than yours as I bought my tractor used out of state and had it shipped here. So I bought mine sight unseen and had to take the word of an individual. He said that he took the tractor in for it's 50hr service. It is possible that he is telling me the truth as everything else he told me about the tractor has been true to this point. Maybe he got screwed which in turn I got it. Who knows - I am just going to redo the whole 50hr service now. I hope nothing got harmed or the life of my tractor was not comprimised as a result. Only time will tell.

/ Partial Maintenance #6  
Adam23,
I'd bet any amount that your tractor is fine. And yeah, if he has been pretty upfront and honest so far about your tractor, I bet he is telling the truth. He probably did take it to the dealer and they told him they did a 50 hr., but didn't! Dealerships all over the country do this stuff. You hear the horror stories about it every day...they just didn't know that in my case, they had a skeptic on their hands, just waiting for them to pull something like this.

I got my service for free, a couple of other goodies for free and 10% off my next purchase (nope, doesn't include another tractor...haha) and an apology phone call from the owner (came days later).

I'm sure your tractor is fine...besides, it's a Kubota!

/ Partial Maintenance #7  
Hopefully you got the owners manual showing when and what needs to be changed at specific time intervals?

/ Partial Maintenance
Yep I got the owners manuals, but now I am looking for the best place to get the work shop manual (maintenance). I don't need it now but I like to have those things on hand becuase when I do need it I will need it right then - not in two weeks. Local dealer wants $72 for it and they have to order it. Not bad will probably go that route unless I can find it somewhere else.

/ Partial Maintenance #9  
Adam23 said:
...The tractor now has 97 hours on it and I am very upset that the maintenance apparently was not performed like it should have been. I checked all of the fluids when I first got the tractor and everything was at proper level and all fluids looked very clean and fresh. So this weekend I plan on changing the engine oil, and filter. Can I use 15W40 instead of the recommended 10W30? I have a 16 gallon barrel full of it and would like to utilize that instead of buying other oil. I also plan on changing out the hydraulic filters and air filter. My question is - can i change the hydro filter and pull the screen without draining all the hydro fluid? The fluid looks brand new - very clean. What do you think?
15W40 is a "summer weight" oil in most parts of the US & Canada. I'd stick with 10W30 if you plan to use your tractor a lot this winter. But in SC I suspect the weight is not as important as making sure the 15W40 is rated for _diesel_ engines.

FWIW I'd be more concerned about the engine oil not being changed at 50 hours than the UDT. The engine oil is subjected to combustion by products (read acids) particularly in the engines early history (read break-in). And the engine oil filter does NOT have a magnetic ring. So I'd change the engine Oil/Filter ASAP.

OTOH...
1 - The hydraulic (suction) filter has a magnetic ring that has probably trapped the worst metal bits in the UDT.
2 - The manual (on some models) is not clear whether or not you only need to change the UDT _fluid_ at 50 hours. For example, you can read my L3240 manual to imply that you only need to change the UDT filters at 50 hours. I changed filters and UDT fluids, but others haven't.

In any case I would not fret about it. I'd just start doing the right things at the right times from here on out :)

Talon Dancer

Last edited:
   / Partial Maintenance #10  
Dealerships all over the country do this stuff.
THAT STATEMENT IS JUST PLAIN WRONG!
That would be fraud and very much against the law.

And yes, the factory filters are gray, but up until recently, gray filters could be found in most parts departments. So just because it's gray doesn't mean it is factory installed.
I still have a couple of very slow moving filter numbers (older model tractors) on the shelf in gray garb.