Leaking lift cylinder?

/ Leaking lift cylinder? #1  

MDM

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L2800HST
I've had my L2800 with 463 loader for a little over a year now. One of the lift cylinders on the loader is leaking fluid out where the ram moves in and out of the housing. I proably have not more than 10 hrs on the loader. It started leaking about 6 weeks ago and I took it off and in to the dealer as the loader was still under warranty. He said all they could do was re-pack the cylinder. They repacked it, and I used it for about a half an hour the other day and it started leaking again in the same place. Now the warranty is expired. What could be causing this? Could it be a defect? All I have done with the loader is move a little dirt and it only has 10 hours on it. I'm going to have to take it off and back in to the dealer.

/ Leaking lift cylinder? #2  
MDM said:
I've had my L2800 with 463 loader for a little over a year now. One of the lift cylinders on the loader is leaking fluid out where the ram moves in and out of the housing. I proably have not more than 10 hrs on the loader. It started leaking about 6 weeks ago and I took it off and in to the dealer as the loader was still under warranty. He said all they could do was re-pack the cylinder. They repacked it, and I used it for about a half an hour the other day and it started leaking again in the same place. Now the warranty is expired. What could be causing this? Could it be a defect? All I have done with the loader is move a little dirt and it only has 10 hours on it. I'm going to have to take it off and back in to the dealer.

That dealer is giving you the run-a-round. He can easily put new seals in the cylinder. Stay on his case, and make him do it right. If all else fails , you or a friend can replace the seals.

/ Leaking lift cylinder? #3  
I agree with JJ - Stay on the dealer - They should take care of you. Is the cylinder ram scared at all? When a cylinder is repacked all the seals are replaced so it should have fixed the problem unless there is something else going on with it I would think.

/ Leaking lift cylinder?
Yes. The cylinder was repacked with new seals. It started leaking again within half and hour of use. Seems like as soon as the fluid gets good and warm, it starts leaking. Now I'm out of warranty, so whatever they do to it now is going to cost me.

/ Leaking lift cylinder? #5  
I would tell them that you took the cylinder to them and had it repaired under warranty and it failed with only 1 hours use. To me that tells me that THEIR REPAIR was insufficient and they need to make good on that. Wether your unit is under warranty now or not. They did not fix it right the first time so they should stand behind their warranty work and redo it at no cost to you! Period.

/ Leaking lift cylinder? #6  
If the service person won't help you with this, go to the service dept mgr. If that does not work, go to the store mgr, then the district mgr etc. For what this costs them, they should not be pushing back.

So long as there is no reason that you caused that this is leaking (ie damage), they should work with you - thats why they call it service!

/ Leaking lift cylinder? #7  
If they replaced the seal and it only lasted an hour, it sounds like the cylinder rod might be bent. (Assuming there is no surface damage on the cylinder rod). Extend the cylinder all the way and use a straightedge to check the rod. If the rod is bent the seal will not last. Bent rods can be straightened. If it is indeed bent, determining whether the rod was defective or was bent by "abuse" may be difficult.