Another large yard project completed by a BX2230

/ Another large yard project completed by a BX2230 #1  

KeithInSpace

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2230
Just to add to the database of very significant projects completed by a mighty-mite tractor, my BX2230.

The yard had many dips, blips, and holes left over by my prior tree removal as well as the way my builder left the grading to suit the trees that are no longer there. Plus a long, dry summer has left my yard all but worthless.

I pulled the trigger on a complete sprinkler system and wanted to get everything graded out prior to them coming so the heads would all be exactly where I wanted them. Through a contact, I was able to get 60 CY of beautiful, screened topsoil for only the trucking costs. I filled all the holes and low areas in the yard, some as much as 18", before the sprinkler guys came in. Using only the 4' BoxBlade and the FEL, I was able to nuke the entire yard, smooth it out, and spread all 60 CY of dirt in 10 tractor-hours (or about 15 working hours). That included several side projects like "re-perching" my A/C compressors (the ground under them sank about 6", thereby making one of them basically hanging from the supply hose), extending the sump discharge 60 feet, and installing some other cross-drains to suit drainage after all the filling.

The full and complete project has left me with a much nicer yard area than I had originally. After spreading 300# of seed, 300# of starter fertilizer, and 200# of tackifier on some of the slopes, I've turned the sprinker system on and hope for some grass in the next couple of weeks.

Right now it is a mud pit, but once (if) it looks like something, I'll be sure to post more appropriate pictures.

In the end, for $3,300 (sprinkler system), $250 (trucking costs), and $750 (seed, fertilizer, and tackifier), three weekend days, and 15 total tractor hours, I have completed a project covering an acre of land that I had quoted for $11,500. Put THAT toward the purchase price of the tractor!!! Cha-ching!

Between that, the front flower bed, and other various projects I have saved myself at least $8,000 that I would have otherwise paid contractors.

Upcoming projects: Stone wall along driveway slope, digging footers for screened porch addition (contracting most of addition), and constructing a paver patio into the back yard after porch is done.

I figure that by the end of next summer, I'll have saved myself the complete cost of the tractor by the projects I will have completed that would have been UNCOMPLTETABLE by hand (or just taken 3 months each instead of 1 or 2 days).

Long live my Kubota! Please!

Attachments

• Dirt Pile.jpg
    Dirt Pile.jpg
    833.1 KB · Views: 1,332
   / Another large yard project completed by a BX2230 #2  
Excellent job Keith, way to go. Looks like the kids had a good time in the big dirt pile too!

/ Another large yard project completed by a BX2230
Actually, it was funny how bummed they were when the dirt pile finally evaporated. We have 3 pairs of shoes each that are filled with dirt/mud and untold quantities washed off of them and down the shower drain. For the short time it lasted (about 1 week until the last 'hill' went away), that pile of dirt was a real hit. They went out there every day...and had a bath every day...

/ Another large yard project completed by a BX2230 #4  
Good job Keith.

Did you happen to get a before picture of the yard for comparision?

/ Another large yard project completed by a BX2230
I didn't take a whole bunch of specific pictures before the project started, but I have enough that will give a feeling of what it looked like before. The most dramatic differences are where I had previously removed trees.

When the grass comes in, I'll post some before and after pictures. It just looks like I traded some tufts of grass for a bunch of mud right now...

/ Another large yard project completed by a BX2230 #6  
That little girl running up the mountain on the left is in Kubota heaven:D

Wow, $250 for 60 cy of great topsoil...unreal.

I'd say the $8,200 in savings on that project makes the tractor purchase a no brainer.

/ Another large yard project completed by a BX2230 #7  
Good show!:D :D :D

Did you haul the dirt with the pink dump truck??:p

/ Another large yard project completed by a BX2230 #8  
AHHHHHHHHHHH A DIRT PILE AND SOME TRUCKS,STILL BRINGS BACK MEMORIES. NOTHING LIKE IT

/ Another large yard project completed by a BX2230 #9  
Nice job. If that pile of dirt was in my yard, I'd probably be playing in it too.
Sounds like you like tractor projects as much as I do.

/ Another large yard project completed by a BX2230 #10  
KeithInSpace said:
Through a contact, I was able to get 60 CY of beautiful, screened topsoil for only the trucking costs.
I have been paying $33.00 per CY for screened top soil plus delivery charge of $35.00. I have the same project on a 2.2 acre scale for next year if all goes well. I was planning on doing pretty much what you did except I was going to go with Hydro seeding due to extremely windy location I'm in. Price for in ground sprinkler may be beyond my pain threshold. Thanks for the motivation.