GL4240 vs L39TLB..

/ GL4240 vs L39TLB.. #1  

Chuck K.

Gold Member
Tractor
2009 M59 w/thumb
Looks like my L3400 is sold. My first thought was the 3940 but someone pointed out the additional lifting ability of the 4240 w/LA 853? once I told my dealer loader capacity was a high priority he showed me the Specs of the L39. They where quite impressive IMHO for a CUT

I realize the cost about 1.5K more. The FEL is not QA, also the ROP does not fold. What else am I missing? I like the walk through and single seat of the L39, the strong FEL and power of its BH, although the weight could be an issue when I do mow but would be a plus when digging and loader work. I know nothing about GST..

This is harder than choosing the first wife:D

Thanks for any input. Chuck.

/ GL4240 vs L39TLB.. #2  
I rented an L39 for a week prior to buying my L3240. The L39 is an awesome TLB for it's size.

You've hit the main "negatives":
* The FEL has a QA for the buckets but the FEL is not easily removable.
* The ROPs with built in canopy is very nice, but fixed.
* The GST is very straight forward but not as forgiving*.

OTOH the L39's sub-frame is stiffer, The FEL and BH are stronger, with two higher capacity hydraulic pumps. The side mounted "dash" is MUCH better for BH work - ignition and hand throttle are immediately at hand while working the BH. The walk through deck is wonderful in the blazing heat or rain -- you are always under the canopy and can easily hang side screens.

In the end I chose the Grand L for the HST Plus, flexibility (removable FEL), better 3 point setup and foldable ROPs. An L39 with those features would have been at my place today:)

Talon Dancer

* An example of what I really didn't like about the L39's GST was the shuttle shifter on the steering column and the difficulty I had holding the tractor montionless while simultaneously lowering the box blade to a specific level and shifting from reverse to forward, while perched at the edge of 20 yards of road base at the top of a 30% grade. Several times when I pressed the 'loud pedal' I was still in reverse and about to head down that 30+% grade backwards :eek:

/ GL4240 vs L39TLB..
TD, could you give me more details on the better 3pt set up? I am going to check a L39 out tomorrow the stronger FEL and BH really having me leaning that direction but I plan on looking over the 4240 as well.. Thanks, Chuck.

/ GL4240 vs L39TLB.. #4  
Greetings,
The L39 is a commercial machine designed to WORK EVERY DAY and is stronger and will take much abuse in stride.....then you gotta ask yourself how many times do you really want to take the FEL off.....with bigger tractors, the front yard will suffer even without the FEL due to the overall weight.
Like all things, spending time on one will familiarize you with the controls.
I was initially a little leary of the L35TLB but after using it for a while, I just run the devil out of it and make short work of stuff....

/ GL4240 vs L39TLB.. #5  
Chuck K. said:
TD, could you give me more details on the better 3pt set up? I am going to check a L39 out tomorrow the stronger FEL and BH really having me leaning that direction but I plan on looking over the 4240 as well.. Thanks, Chuck.
The 3pt on the L39 looks identical to the ones on the L2800 etc. Essentially this design uses galvanized turnbuckles for adjusting the side to side placement and play. And a painted turn buckle (which requires a wrench) to adjust tilt. The top link is essentially the same on the GL40s and L39.

The GL40's side to side play adjustment is quite different. It is a box over a square rod that have different spacing holes w/ a pin that you just pullout and replace in a different position. This is MUCH easier to adjust than the galv. turn buckle. The tilt adjustment is simpler too. It is also square with side "handles" that let you quickly adjust it without a wrench. The arms themselves can be extended an inch or two but easily/automatically slide back into a locked postion. So...

When I hook up the box blade I just pull the two side to side pins and extend the arms fully before I back up. This flexibilty allows me to easily hook up the box blade even when I don't get perfectly aligned. It also allows me to swing the BB to one side and tilt it down when grading the edge of the driveway.

Of course a Top N Tilt would be much better. But the Grand L's 3point makes manual adjustments far easier by hand.

Talon Dancer

/ GL4240 vs L39TLB.. #6  
Chuck K. said:

Chuck the 3pt on the 4240 has the telescoping lift arms for easier attachment of implements. The L39 does not. Compare the PTO hp numbers if PTO power is important to you. I believe with the 4240 you can adjust the rear wheel width for more stability on hills. Not so with the L39. If you tow your tractor the L39 weighs in at 7k without loaded tires, something I think it needs with its loader lift capabilities. With loaded tires on the L39 and the average weight of a 10k trailer you are getting very close to the limits of a standard license.

All that said I think my L39 is great.

MarkV