Throttle adjustment

/ Throttle adjustment #1  

robz

I'm fast approaching 40 hrs on my B2710 and have finally tired of the "hard to move" throttle lever.
I recall a while ago that Bird (I think) had a post discussing an adjustment to loosen the throttle lever. I've not had any luck searching for this post.

Is it a big deal to make this adjustment?
I'm also wanting to lower the idle rpm. (It came from the factory set at 1200.) What's a good idle rpm? - 800, 900, 1000?

/ Throttle adjustment #2  
robz, I went to the archives and did a keyword search on'throttles' and it came up in the first list; given by Bud. I used it to fix my B2400; worked great. JimM

/ Throttle adjustment
JimM, got it..
Thanks much

/ Throttle adjustment #4  
Whew robz, glad you found that message since I wasn't the one who posted it. Mine's a little stiff, all right, but not enough for me to want to do anything about it.

And my B2710 came with the idle set at 1200 also. Someone, and I can't remember who, said it was to meet Calfornia emission standards. Anyway, I just went to the right side of the engine and found the adjustment and backed it down to about 850 plus or minus a little.

Bird

/ Throttle adjustment
There are so many people with so much good & practical advice on this board that I get them all mixed up.

Bird, I ended up adjusting the idle before I read your post.
I backed it down 'till the engine sounded good to me, and ended up right at 900rpm. So, I guess we're in the same ballpark.
Haven't tried to correct the throttle stiffness yet...

/ Throttle adjustment #6  
Bird,

My NH TC18 idles at about 1100 rpm, I figure that's where it belongs since it came that way. Why did you change yours?
Did your dealer recommend it or did you just figure it was too high? I figure that the makers of my engine, engineers and all that know a lot more about it than I do made it to idle at that speed for a reason. I don't change the idles on new vehicles when I buy them either...am I missing something here?

JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!

/ Throttle adjustment #7  
JimBinMI, I don't have a good scientific answer. I had just never heard of a diesel engine idling that fast, and right now can't even remember who told me it should be set just fast enough to run smooth without vibrating. I guess all I can tell you is that I didn't like it, so I changed it./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Bird

/ Throttle adjustment #8  
My NH 2120 came with a slightly low idle 700 rpms. When I got done using the bachoe and returned my throttle to idle it would hunt slightly. Called the dealer he says o.k. to adjust to about 900ish rpm.

As for adjusting the idle on new cars it can not be done on nearly all cars. I you really wanted to do it there are only a couple of ways. 1) bend the throttle stop (not recommended) 2) recalibrate the computer. The newer cars are computer controlled and they also control the idle strategy. It does this by adjusting one or all of the following: open or close the air idle bypass, adjust the ignition timing, change the fuel mixture slightly. If the idle is off there usually is a problem; cloaking of the throttle blades, vacuum leak, poor tuning (air and fuel filters etc.) dirty injectors, carbon on the intake valves etc.