Oil & Fuel Oil drain plug

/ Oil drain plug #1  

fih25

Tractor
Kubota BX 1500,Cub Cadet LTX 1042
I was changing the oil on my bx1500, and when I went to put the drain plug back in found it won't tighten. I have a new plug ordered , but am afraid it might be the threads in the pan. I searched the internet for repairing drain plugs and found there are 2 possibilities, (save replacing the pan) one is a repair kit with a threaded insert with a drain plug, and a self tapping oversized drain plug. Anyone had any experience with either? I would like to add, that since I bought this tractor, the plug has not always come out easily, it breaks loose, then it's loose then tight, etc the whole way out.. This was only the 6th time I changed oil.(300 hours)

/ Oil drain plug #2  
Easy fix, just bring your old drain plug to your local autoparts store and they will fix you right up and the new one you ordered may not work in a stripped hole, don't feel bad, It's easy to do
Jim
:)

/ Oil drain plug #3  
Being sheet metal, there is a good chance that the pan is stripped.Weld a nut on the pan and drill a hole thru it and then get a plug for the size hole in the nut. Not a hard job, except for the overhead welding which takes a little bit of experience to get a good weld.
David from jax

/ Oil drain plug
MrJimi and sandman2234, thank you for your replies.I am going to wait for the new drain plug in hopes that it is the problem(dealer said that the plug is softer than the pan) But if that isn't the problem(which I doubt) I will take your advise MrJimi(no offense sandman2234, since I am more comfortable retapping a hole as opposed to welding).

Again, thank you both for your replies, this website has been very helpful since I discovered it last year.

/ Oil drain plug #5  
The autopart store drain plugs I'm talking about are oversized and self tapping go and take a look and it should be reinforced in that area where the plug screws in and will be less than $5
:)

/ Oil drain plug #6  
fih25 said:
I was changing the oil on my bx1500, and when I went to put the drain plug back in found it won't tighten. I have a new plug ordered , but am afraid it might be the threads in the pan. I searched the internet for repairing drain plugs and found there are 2 possibilities, (save replacing the pan) one is a repair kit with a threaded insert with a drain plug, and a self tapping oversized drain plug. Anyone had any experience with either? I would like to add, that since I bought this tractor, the plug has not always come out easily, it breaks loose, then it's loose then tight, etc the whole way out.. This was only the 6th time I changed oil.(300 hours)
Ah you're changing oil too often and wearing out the pan and the plug. :)

/ Oil drain plug #7  
fih25 said:
....since I bought this tractor, the plug has not always come out easily, it breaks loose, then it's loose then tight, etc the whole way out.. This was only the 6th time I changed oil.(300 hours)
Those are classic symptoms of cross threading.

You can easily see if the cross threads are on the plug. There will be two sets of threads at slightly different angles. Where they overlap the plug will look smoother and be a little smaller in diameter. The same will be true on the pan. But depending on the hardness of the metals the main damage could be on either part.

Talon Dancer

/ Oil drain plug #8  
Self-tapping repair plugs work fine. Have used them on lots of stuff. They come in two oversize increments, so you can do it again if you strip the replacement.

/ Oil drain plug #9  
sandman2234 said:
Being sheet metal, there is a good chance that the pan is stripped.Weld a nut on the pan and drill a hole thru it and then get a plug for the size hole in the nut. Not a hard job, except for the overhead welding which takes a little bit of experience to get a good weld.
David from jax

If you weld and then drill it out, wont the pan be full of shavings then?

/ Oil drain plug
Oil drain plug update:

To all, thanks for your suggestions/help. I picked up the new plug from my dealer. Comparing it to the old one, I found that the major diameter was .025 larger than the old one, as well as the old plug had rounded threads that were also leaning in one direction. I finally found an oversized plug(hard to find 12mm x 1.250 thread) at NAPA, as well as a 12mm x1.250 tap.
I retapped/cleaned the thread on the pan, and then inserted the new plug, I went hand tight then tightend 1/4 turn, it continued to tighten up. I then removed the plug and poured the oil from the original oil change down through to flush out any possible remaining chips. I then reinserted the new plug(which actually went in smoother than the original ever did) to hand tight and tightend 1/4 turn, then another 1/4 turn, all the while it was tightening up the entire time with no slipping.
I am confident that the new plug, as well as cleaning out the threads in the oil pan have solved this problem, but I will be keeping an eye on it anyway. At least I have an oversized plug to install if it would start to leak/come loose.

Again, thank you to all for you suggestions, I am glad I found this site last year, it has provided me with great answers and suggestions.