Help! BX24 Hydro Leak

/ Help! BX24 Hydro Leak #1  

x703jko

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX24TLB
Hi.

After 2 hours of intermittent use of the backhoe today, I noticed the smell of fresh hydro fluid. And I noticed smoke (probably burning hydro fluid) coming from underneath the tracktor.

I stopped it immediately...Noticed hyrdrofluid under the seat area and on the ground.

Hydro fluid was full when I started...now it's almost empty AND after putting 2 gallons of SUDT in it, it's still not to up to the dipstick.

After letting it sit for 15 minutes or so, I tried it again and I can see it spraying out from somewhere under the seat...

:(

I know there's a check valve or relief valve somewhere underneath the seat....

Note...it's not terribly hot hear today - mid 70's

What should I do?

Please help

Jeff

/ Help! BX24 Hydro Leak #2  
1st off, be extremely careful around that leak as high pressure hydraulic fluid can penetrate your skin and cause serious injury & infection.

With the engine off check to see if the tractor to BH hydraulic couplings are connected tight and dry. It could be that one or both are either loose or defective.
repair/replace as necessary.

Another area to check is the hydraulic block. This is where all the external hydraulic implements/controls get their power. It is located on the HST just above the left rear wheel. Could be a loose connector on it.

There is a vent just below the seat and it could be the problem but generally we don't hear of it spewing fluid at as high a rate as you indicate. You can identify it by it's red cap.

You BX should still be under warranty, sounds like a dealer visit is in order.

/ Help! BX24 Hydro Leak
Volfandt said:
1st off, be extremely careful around that leak as high pressure hydraulic fluid can penetrate your skin and cause serious injury & infection.

With the engine off check to see if the tractor to BH hydraulic couplings are connected tight and dry. It could be that one or both are either loose or defective.
repair/replace as necessary.

Another area to check is the hydraulic block. This is where all the external hydraulic implements/controls get their power. It is located on the HST just above the left rear wheel. Could be a loose connector on it.

There is a vent just below the seat and it could be the problem but generally we don't hear of it spewing fluid at as high a rate as you indicate. You can identify it by it's red cap.

You BX should still be under warranty, sounds like a dealer visit is in order.

Volfandt. Thanks for the info.

I'll check the hoses/couplings - however, the leak is definately coming from under the seat...I hear it sputtering and spewing when I turn on the engine.

Can the relief valve be adjusted or fiddled with?

Jeff

/ Help! BX24 Hydro Leak
More observations:

1) Transmission is fully cooled - still spewing hydro fluid and gases.
2) Fluid is shooting out from the opening in the body where the mower height adjustment knob comes through the body of the tractor.
3) Checked the connections to the backhoe. They're all seated properly.
4) Didn't check the fittings next the the left rear wheel.
5) I know the fan is fine...it was fine when I put my bro-tek skid plate on and I've used the tractor for at least 20 hours since then.

I called the "24/7" service line for my dealer - no response yet...

:(

Anyone else have any clues?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

/ Help! BX24 Hydro Leak
Correction - fluid is shooting out of the opening where the quarter inching valve adjustment knob emerges from the body of the tractor.

From the BX24 service manual, this suggests that the control valve mechanism may have a leak somewhere.

Anyone have any comments regarding this?

Jeff

/ Help! BX24 Hydro Leak
Ok.

Had a Kubota tech from Finch Services in Hanover, PA at my place this morning.

After seeing the magnitude of the leak, he decided to NOT attempt to drive it out of the woods. Instead, he took off the ROPS, floor board, fender etc., thinking the leak was coming from the top of the hydro system.

After about an hour, we checked for obvious problems and found none. We started it up - fluid was GUSHING from below the hydro system. Tech suspected a leak in the filter. Reached down and found nothing obvious.

Then we spent another 45 minutes dropping the skid plates - which in hindsight would have obviated the first hour of work.

Then, we started it again...fluid was POURING from where the filter attaches to the pump.

Tech suspected bad filter. He pulls it and couldn't believe his eyes...the entire bottom of the filter where it mates to the pump was bowed OUTWARD which meant that it was no longer making a seal...hence the leak.

The tech said (clearly) that this must be due to over pressure and suspected that the relief valve wasn't working right...and he says he can't replace it in the field.

So....he gets another filter, installs it, adds 2 gals of SUDT...and we attempt to drive it to his trailer...we get 25 feet before the second filter has the same problem!!!!!!!!!!!

Luckily, we were now in a position where we could tow the tractor out to his trailer...

BX24 is now at the dealer....more to come..

By the way, unlike a lot of posters here...I have had nothing but good experiences with Finch Services...anyone in the North-Central Maryland...south Central PA area looking for Kubotas should consider Finch.

Jeff

/ Help! BX24 Hydro Leak
Texas Dodge said:
Keep us updated on what the problem was.

I suspect (and the tech agreed) that the relief valve was not set correctly before the unit was delivered.

At first the tech was adamant that this was impossible for tractors they deliver...but then when I reminded him that they got the tractor from another dealer, he agreed that they may NOT have prepped the unit...trusting instead that the other dealer did the prep (incorrectly).

What amazes me is that the pump can deliver enough pressure to deform the filter can...in under 3 minutes I might add....wow!

I'll post more when I get more...
Jeff

/ Help! BX24 Hydro Leak
Just spoke to the service tech at Finch Services...

He pulled the relief valve assembly...it had SIX...(6) shims in it.

He tells me that normally only 1 or 2 shims are needed. Each shim increases the relief valve opening pressure by 40 psi.

He's going to start with one shim, check the pressure and proceed accordingly...

Stay tuned...

/ Help! BX24 Hydro Leak #10  
x703jko said:
By the way, unlike a lot of posters here...I have had nothing but good experiences with Finch Services...anyone in the North-Central Maryland...south Central PA area looking for Kubotas should consider Finch.

Jeff

Wow, What a story-Glad it's coming to a happy ending though:D

My only problem a Finch's (Westminster) is the salesmen-one in particular who has a "holier than though" attitude. He gave me a big blow-off when I was tractor shopping so I bought elsewhere. The service department was absolutely top notch with some warranty issues I had even though I did not purchase from them. The parts counter guys are great also-especially when I get into some strange projects and need their help.