LA 272 Loader Problem

/ LA 272 Loader Problem #1  

PSDStu

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota, M7060 HDC12, L4060 HSTC, RTV 1140
I was using my loader today and had the bucket pointing straight down doing a little cleanup with my toothbar and as luck would have it I must have caught a tree root and it caused the bucket to roll back and I belive pop the relief valve.

I can raise and lower my loader fine, but the curl back function doesn't work and the curl down seems to work ok, but it could just be working to curl down because of the weight of the bucket.

There are no hyd oil leaks, and need to know is there anything I can do to restore my curl function short of taking it to the dealer?

Thanks!

/ LA 272 Loader Problem
I disassembled both bucket cylinders and found out what the problem is. One cylinder is fine, the other cylinder I somehow managed to break the retaining nut off the rod inside the cylinder. This will require replacing the rod and nut for about $225.

Mental note to self.......be careful when using the loader curled down........

Stu

/ LA 272 Loader Problem #3  
Yes one must be careful when you have the cylinders extended like that.

At least your not paying for labor also.

/ LA 272 Loader Problem #4  
How fast were you going? How much pressure do you think was placed on the bucket? I ask because I use my bucket similar to how you explained and would not like to experience the same thing. Thanks!

/ LA 272 Loader Problem #5  
Back dragging with the front blade and a dumped bucket is very hard on your cylinders. In this position the Rams of the cylinders are completly extended; when you put down pressure on the cylinders you are risking damage. If you do frequent dirt work, this is an option we offer for our buckets and as an aftermarket add-on. The Back Drag Blade will allow you to keep the rams inside the cylinder (fully rolled back) for protection while back dragging. It will not bend or stress the rams of your bucket cylinders. For less than what it will cost you to repair or replace a cylinder, you can modify your current bucket to work better for this application. The Blade is available with or without scarifying teeth.

Attachments

• Back Drag on bucket.jpg
    Back Drag on bucket.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 392
  • back-drag-close-up.jpg
    back-drag-close-up.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 320
   / LA 272 Loader Problem #6  
Westendorf-RR said:
Back dragging with the front blade and a dumped bucket is very hard on your cylinders. In this position the Rams of the cylinders are completly extended; when you put down pressure on the cylinders you are risking damage. If you do frequent dirt work, this is an option we offer for our buckets and as an aftermarket add-on. The Back Drag Blade will allow you to keep the rams inside the cylinder (fully rolled back) for protection while back dragging. It will not bend or stress the rams of your bucket cylinders. For less than what it will cost you to repair or replace a cylinder, you can modify your current bucket to work better for this application. The Blade is available with or without scarifying teeth.

What does something like this cost? Where can I look more into this product?

/ LA 272 Loader Problem
Adam23 said:
How fast were you going? How much pressure do you think was placed on the bucket? I ask because I use my bucket similar to how you explained and would not like to experience the same thing. Thanks!

Adam,

I wasn't going that fast, just doing a little clean up with the bucket curled all the way down, using the toothbar to gather up some loose branches..... the problem was that the right side toothbar hit a large tree root that I didn't see and then I heard a loud pop.....and then I discovered what I had done.

I have done this same thing lots of times.......but ya just have to be real careful....

I think what happened was that my bucket rolled back towards the tractor.......this fully extended the rod and the nut bottomed out on the large cylinder nut and broke the rod nut right off.

It wasn't a "Back-Dragging" situation.....just the opposite.

Stu

/ LA 272 Loader Problem #9  
Thanks for the good warning post. I do the same thing with my B7800 at times so I will now be more careful.

This past weekend I managed to extend my bucket grapple and it's cylinder too far and it locked up. I had to purge on the out take quick disconnect hose of it's hydra fluid in order to retract the cylinder and grapple. It took me awhile to figure it out and it was a stupid thing for me to do.