The first 50 hours ...

/ The first 50 hours ... #1  

ArmsOutWide

Tractor
Kubota L3400HST-F
I read through my manual, again, and I still have some questions about the critical first 50 hours on my tractor (L3400 HST).

The manual essentially says to take it easy for the first 50 hours, but I think I recall reading other posts that talk about pushing it hard for the first 50 hours.

So:
1) What does taking it easy mean to a tractor?
2) What does pushing it hard mean to a tractor?
3) Should I really do one or the other, or is using it "normally" just fine?

/ The first 50 hours ... #2  
My understanding is that you want to vary the engine load during the break-in period. Typically, if you are using the machine for various tasks during the break-in, you should accomplish this without any special effort. I guess that would be a "yes" to #3 on your list. That's just my opinion, but I sure some of the sages will weigh in with more "technical" analysis.

Welcome to TBN.

/ The first 50 hours ... #3  
I let it warm up for 5-10 minutes and use it how I see fit. If the machine can't handle it then really what good is it. I've thrown more at it particularly the back hoe than it can handle, but thats not much. I take it easier with the fel and mower since it has adequate power to work those appliances. Although it doesn't take a lot to overload the fel. If your babying it then its more like man jewelery.

/ The first 50 hours ... #5  
bigballer said:
hehe.. "man jewelry".. :D

so what sort of problems can arise if you don't warm up the tractor?

I don't know. I read that in the owners manual. I would think its hard on the engine and trans. Thick oil and hyrdro fluid.??

/ The first 50 hours ... #6  
Standard practice for engine break in on any internal combustion engine that uses pistons is to vary the load and engine speed during the initial break in period. Operation at a constant load and speed can cause improper seating of the cylinder bore/pistons/rings. Basically what happens is the groves in the piston rings can stack and cause a line in the cylinder wall that the rings will get stuck in which in the future which will prevent them from turning. Stacked rings cause oil consumption and blow by.

Engine warm up is done because the engine expands when it gets hot. Tolerances tend to be tighter when cold which under load can cause premature wear. It's kind of like a person stretching before a long run, you are loosening up.