Towing BX24 200 miles with Jeep Grand Cherokee

/ Towing BX24 200 miles with Jeep Grand Cherokee #1  

mswlogo

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2320 DT (Gear)
I need to pickup my BX24 and this is a one shot deal. I'm renting the trailer and don't plan to own to do this on a regular basis.

I can tow my 4500lb Boat/Trailer set with the Jeep several times 120 miles. I can't exactly accelerate at 60mph up hills but there is no need to push it.

The trailer is approx 2000lbs and BX24 approx 2500lbs so it should be approx the same weight.

Jeep is rated to 6500lbs (not that I would ever tow that) and has the tow package. It's also rated for 30ft trailer.

Trailer has electric brakes that run off trailer power socket and is tandem. I think it's a 16ft rated for 6000lbs (not sure if that is GVWR or capacity).

I can also get a truck but I feel more comfortable with my own vehicle.

/ Towing BX24 200 miles with Jeep Grand Cherokee #2  
The Grand Cherokee will pull that just fine. I used to pull horse trailors of that weight all the time. The electric brakes work thru the trailor socket but you still must have a controller in the truck????

/ Towing BX24 200 miles with Jeep Grand Cherokee
Jimbrown said:
The Grand Cherokee will pull that just fine. I used to pull horse trailors of that weight all the time. The electric brakes work thru the trailor socket but you still must have a controller in the truck????

I asked the fellow I'm getting the trailer from and he didn't seem to think there was a controller. It's just on/off on the break lights? He should know he has a whole fleet of trucks and trailers.

I have surge breaks on boat setup that work excellent.

/ Towing BX24 200 miles with Jeep Grand Cherokee #4  
My Silverado was factory wired to control electric trailer brakes though I had to install a brake controller that plugged into a socket under the dash. Works really good. Controllers are about $75 dollars plus the cost of a cable (some vehicles come with the cable). Do a google search on "trailer brake controller". There a a few good sites that will tell you exactly what you need for your vehicle.

BTW - Your jeep will not have any issues pulling that setup.

/ Towing BX24 200 miles with Jeep Grand Cherokee
I think my Jeep is factory wired too, but I know it has no controller. Are the controllers always visible with displays or could he have one tucked under his dash and not even know it. He may just order his trucks all set up and not even realize it.

/ Towing BX24 200 miles with Jeep Grand Cherokee #6  
mswlogo said:
I asked the fellow I'm getting the trailer from and he didn't seem to think there was a controller. It's just on/off on the break lights? He should know he has a whole fleet of trucks and trailers.

I have surge breaks on boat setup that work excellent.
If electric trailer brakes were wired directly to the brake light, they would probably lock up when the brakes were applied. They might also blow the fuse on the brake light circuit, if there was sufficient additional current.

In any event, you would not be able to modulate them.

/ Towing BX24 200 miles with Jeep Grand Cherokee #7  
THe Jeep should pull it fine; but remember to not pull loads like that in "overdrive". If you have the button on your gear-shift for "towing" be sure and use it.

/ Towing BX24 200 miles with Jeep Grand Cherokee #8  
mswlogo said:
I think my Jeep is factory wired too, but I know it has no controller. Are the controllers always visible with displays or could he have one tucked under his dash and not even know it. He may just order his trucks all set up and not even realize it.

If you don't see the controller, you don't have the controller. You MUST HAVE a controller for the trailer brakes to work.

Other than that, you will tow fine.
jb

/ Towing BX24 200 miles with Jeep Grand Cherokee #9  
john_bud said:
If you don't see the controller, you don't have the controller.

True statement. If you have one, you'd know it. It isn't magically squirrelled away under the dash somewhere...it is an obvious thing the size of a cigarette box, usually to the left of the steering wheel by your knee.

Not that big of a deal to add, especially if you have a 6 pin light plug at the back of your truck...that'd mean you have a quick-connect somewhere under your dash.

As far as the trailer, I just want to make sure it is dual axle. I've seen 16 foot "garden" trailers that are still single axle. Load rating aside, I found it disconcerting to tow my machine WITHOUT BH (about 2,300#) with my trailer rated to 5,000# mostly because of the "wander" in the compressed sidewalls combined with the high center of gravity.

If you are dual axle, you're good to go. Even better with brakes. Nearly every dual-axle trailer I've seen is 7,000# GVWR.

As long as you understand the vehicle dynamics and that you probably won't be able to chug 80 MPH up hills, you're fine with the Jeep. I pulled a boat with a dry weight of over 4,000#, loaded with water and fuel, on a steel trailer, with my 4Runner rated for 5,000#. For the 5 miles I towed the boat to and from the ramp, things were great. Getting to 60 MPH or getting mileage over 4 MPG was impossible.

/ Towing BX24 200 miles with Jeep Grand Cherokee #10  
The most common hookup for a trailer with brakes is a 7 pin (RV) the wiring on these is done to one standard.
You may have a 6 pin but be aware there are TWO different ways to wire the 6 pin connectors. :eek:
BTW no electric brakes work off the brakelight circuit unless someone rigged something up themselves in a REAL screwball fashion.