Kubota bx23 owners, question?

/ Kubota bx23 owners, question? #1  

Mmurph

Tractor
Mahindra 5005di 51hp
New to the forum and really appreciate all the info I have found without asking till now. I was looking at a used BX23 today with 250 hrs on the clock. It looked great, except when I started it it vibrated violently when at idel. When I reved up the RPM's a bit it stopped. Is this normal? This an auction tractor, so what do you think would be a good final bid for the machine, no belly mower, or mid PTO just FEL and BH. Thanks Mark

/ Kubota bx23 owners, question? #2  
Vibration at idle is normal on this engine. I always hold mine just a little off the idle stop to reduce this vibration. This shake, rattle, and roll is what causes the air filter bracket to crack and break. Lot of complaints on the board about the filter brackets breaking. It will have the mid PTO shaft, all of the BX23's have the mid PTO so far as I know. Its a tough little tractor, and I'm real happy with mine, 590 hours so far and I work it almost every day. Don't have a clue as to the value of a used one though.

/ Kubota bx23 owners, question? #3  
I'm a BX24 owner, so it's not exactly the same. Mine vibrates at idle, although I don't know that I'd call it a violent vibration. I'd almost think that if it truly is violent, that's not normal. If it's vibrating a bit more than you would have thought, it's probably okay.

If I put a glass of water on my hood, it would vibrate off pretty quickly, but it wouldn't fly off and land three feet away or anything.

/ Kubota bx23 owners, question?
Ray, no, i wouldnt say it would fly 3', but it seemed more than normal, glass of water would fall off in less than 3 sec. I am not used to a tractor this small and thought vibration was more than normal, maybe just my imagination.

/ Kubota bx23 owners, question? #5  
My engine vibrates what I would call "severely" at idle so I try to kick the throttle up just a little bit and it smooths out. It doesn't shake the tractor a bunch but that engine is bouncing off the walls under the hood

/ Kubota bx23 owners, question? #7  
I agree about the Vibration. Mine shakes pretty good at idle but smooths out real nice with just a tad more RPM's. Been that way since it was new. (now has 350 hours) It does indeed bust the air cleaner bracket at idle. After 3 broken brackets, I just used a large Tie-Wrap. Been great for 200 hours. I really LOVE my BX-23.

/ Kubota bx23 owners, question? #8  
Berniep said:
My engine vibrates what I would call "severely" at idle so I try to kick the throttle up just a little bit and it smooths out. It doesn't shake the tractor a bunch but that engine is bouncing off the walls under the hood

Same here.

/ Kubota bx23 owners, question? #10  
Totally normal on the BX23. I let mine warm-up a little above idle (per Bernie above).

The only known drawback is fatigue failures in the air cleaner bracket. It may happen on yours soon (mine went at 350 hours). Spare ones cost about $10 last time I checked. Kubota gave me one, I put a couple more spares in my parts box and haven't thought about it since.

Enjoy. The BX is an amazing machine. :D