BX24 Drive Shaft Boot Broken

/ BX24 Drive Shaft Boot Broken #1  

dschad

Tractor
BX24
Hi all,

I have a BX24 w/ about 75 hours on it. I was under it the other day and I noticed that the rear boot on the drive shaft near the plastic white fan was broken. The first "bellow" of the boot seems to have sheared off, leaving the boot w/o a top. Interestingly, the top of the boot worked its way up to the front boot, which is actually why I noticed it, since it looked kinda out of place up there.

Anyway, in reading about replacing the rear fan, it seems that to get the shaft free is either expensive and/or time consuming, so I am wondering about how/if/when I should repair this.

What is this boot covering and/or protecting? There doesn't appear to be much grease in the boot, so I'm wondering if it is more of a dust cover then anything else. Should I just leave it until I run a stick into the fan and do the whole thing :eek: ? Any worse case scenarios?

What about wrap-around boot replacements out there that I should consider? Duct-tape?

Any input/thoughts are welcome.

don

/ BX24 Drive Shaft Boot Broken #2  
I had about the same thing happened to my BX23. A stick kicked up and ripped the original thin rubber boot off. I'm no expert on Kubotas but I went and found a small boot i'm not real sure what it came off of because the kid at the parts store went in the back and tried to match it as close as he could. I carefully split this boot got me a some good rubber sealant and a couple good zip ties and made sure I sealed it real good and its been this way for at least 200 hours with no ill effects. I always check under it to see if all is ok every so often. Your results may very but its held me off from changeing it at least until i bust off a fan blade. I think i'd try and keep that coupler for the shaft as dry and dust free as possible. Least you know your not alone in just ripping off a boot.

/ BX24 Drive Shaft Boot Broken
Hmm...I might try a little section of inner tube, some rubber cement and a couple of hose clamps.

Of course, I was hoping that with a new tractor I wouldn't have to be monkeying around with such things!

Perhaps a skid-plate is in order...

/ BX24 Drive Shaft Boot Broken #4  
What about a CV joint replacement boot there already split and have the glue size will be the question please post if you find it just in case I need one

tom

/ BX24 Drive Shaft Boot Broken #5  
I had the boot work its way down the shaft and take out the wires to the fuel pump. Now before I start the Bota I listen for that fuel pump clicking away before I turn the key.:D

/ BX24 Drive Shaft Boot Broken
The replacement CV boot was my first thought, but then I figured that they would be much too big. After hearing about the stock one removing the wires from the pump, I'll be doubly careful.